A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 6th April 2022, 08:28 PM

Default bang-bang

Car started like a bag of lumpy potatoes tonight, like it was missing on one cylinder. Performed a quick OBD check and it shows the following:

P1231 - Fuel injector Cyl.7 Short circuit to ground
static
P0154 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank2-Sensor1 No Activity Detected
static

Hopefully a quick question and a quick answer:
Is this a coil pack gone bad or is my injector dicky? Or something else perhaps.
When attempting to clear codes, it seemed to have a hiccup when communicating with the engine control unit. Cleared codes on 2nd attempt so perhaps that's a bum steer.

Problem seemed to clear after the car warmed up and there was some 'spirited' driving. Any suggestions/advice, as always, gratefully received.
Cheers

Johnny G
Old 7th April 2022, 02:21 AM

How strange, mine (Green Beast) did exactly the same. Maybe it’s a sarf London thing!

I suspect it’s a coilpack so I’m going to swap one over from Dolph and see what happens.

Question….what are the cylinder numbers as if I’m looking at the car from the bonnet towards the rear of the car?

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 7th April 2022, 06:17 AM

Looking at the car from the front, cylinder 1 (bank 1) is front left, 5 (bank 2) is front right.

This error code does say injector, rather than coil pack. It would log 'multiple misfires cylinder 7' if it was the coil pack.

The coincidental bank 2 O2 sensor code makes me wonder if there's a wiring fault, possibly some nibbling going on?
Old 9th April 2022, 03:30 PM

Just be aware that a short to ground fault on the injector may mean that it is being activated when not commanded to be. This may lead to excessive fuel in the cylinder. Even if the engine is not running but the ignition is on.

The fuel pump will prime and the injector will simply allow the fuel to go streight into the cylinder. It will wash out the cylinder and eventually contaminate your engine oil.
Old 9th April 2022, 04:17 PM

I would start by fault finding the injector first. Remove the fuel pump relay to prevent any more fuel contamination or unplug the injector.

I doubt very much that this will be an injector fault. They are simply solenoid valves, a coil of wire, and usually fail with an open circuit fault rather than short to ground.

I would initially suspect a fault in the ground wire of the injector. Hopefully this is not a fault with the ecu permanently grounding the injector. An injector test noid may be useful to aid with this.

You are going to need to do some multimeter or at least test light fault finding from this point on. Is that something you can deal with?
Old 10th April 2022, 09:09 AM

Project has entered a 'major wait state' - I went to open the bonnet to investigate further and my bonnet cable must have come loose from the operating handle to the right of the steering wheel. I will have a go at that this afternoon if i get the chance.
I do have a multimeter and possess a modicum of intelligence in that regard so hopefully I can start tracing things once I get that infernal bonnet open...
Strangely, I've had no repeat of the lumpy engine start on the last 3 occasions. I still need to open the bonnet to check fluid levels so that will have to be done anyway.

Last edited by johnny_quattro; 10th April 2022 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Forgot sumfink
Old 13th April 2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Looking at the car from the front, cylinder 1 (bank 1) is front left, 5 (bank 2) is front right.

This error code does say injector, rather than coil pack. It would log 'multiple misfires cylinder 7' if it was the coil pack.

The coincidental bank 2 O2 sensor code makes me wonder if there's a wiring fault, possibly some nibbling going on?
Thanks!

I ran my OBD reader today and got codes
P0303, and P0606.

I reset the codes and tried it again and it only showed P0606?

I’ve ordered a couple of coil packs and hopefully that will resolve it.

Maybe it’s a complete coincidence, but I had some sports cats fitted recently and the car only now has developed a fault?!

Old 15th April 2022, 01:09 PM

Changed cylinder 6 coilpack and she’s running great again