A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 5th May 2022, 09:00 AM

No point in having a filter if you can't clean/replace it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th May 2022, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
No point in having a filter if you can't clean/replace it.
It will get the car through the 3 year warranty period on long life intervals, thats all they care for.

I have removed them on my 2.8 as per MJ's advice and have no regrets, the £37 chinese tensioner is holding up well.
Old 5th May 2022, 04:16 PM

Good to know about the 4.0T engine, it's what I was thinking of if I went with an Audi when I next need a vehicle.
Old 5th May 2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Its also what kills the turbos in the 4.0TT. They have a gauze in the turbo oil feed to stop particles going through the turbos. Instead, the particles clog the filter and stop oil going through the turbos which kills them in short order. Another £10K repair. The US has a recall for it, presumably due to the threat of a class action suit, but Audi UK don't care and refuse to do anything about it or even contribute to repair costs.
Is this related? Recall Oil Strainer Turbos - Recall code 21H7 https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?p=965710#p965710
Seems to have just gone "live" in UK!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th May 2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 5th May 2022, 06:33 PM

Thats really interesting to read, looks like as you say the recall is now live in the UK for the 4.0TT.

Handy to know as a D4 S8 would be an excellent daily driver.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 6th May 2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Seems to have just gone "live" in UK!
I wonder what exactly they'll do on those engines where the filters are clogged, and have partially starved the turbos of oil. Will they just fit new filters and send the owner on their way, and leave them in the lurch when the turbos fail?

And what about those owners on this side of the pond that have already had the substantial expense of having to replace their turbos due to a problem that Audi have been aware of for some time!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th May 2022, 08:55 PM

I did the bank 2 tensioner last night - that was also in perfect condition, so filter removed and new pads fitted, then back together

The front crank seal was weeping a little so that needs changing

Pull the bushing out with a couple of magnetic pick-up tools

Cleaned up ready for the new seal

I made a new tool for fitting the seal as my previous one wouldn't push them in straight. This one pushes the seal properly square by using the sprocket bolt, similar to how the factory tool works, although mine still assembles the seal and bushing together rather than putting the bushing in later.

All done

Torque the new sprocket bolt to 200Nm + 180°, then put the new belt kit on

Ready for the inlet manifold

I discovered some time ago that the factory put sealant on both sides of the inlet manifold gasket, so I do the same.

Manifold back on

It cleaned up quite well

Aux belt rollers back on and the engine is pretty much done for now

Gearbox tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	28374   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	28375   Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	28376   Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	28377   Click image for larger version

Name:	076.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	28378   Click image for larger version

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	28379   Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	28380   Click image for larger version

Name:	079.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	28381   Click image for larger version

Name:	080.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	28382   Click image for larger version

Name:	081.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	28383  

Click image for larger version

Name:	082.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	28384   Click image for larger version

Name:	083.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	28385  
Old 9th May 2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Pull the bushing out with a couple of magnetic pick-up tools
Does it come out that easily?

Quote:
Cleaned up ready for the new seal
Is that part number 077115147A (radial shaft seal), as it seems to be from the old ETKA diagram?

Quote:
All done
Is there a part number for the seal or do you reuse it? Also, does it matter that it's the other way around (text stamped on it but not on photo further up)?

Quote:
Torque the new sprocket bolt to 200Nm + 180°, then put the new belt kit on
How do you torque it up to that crazy figure?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th May 2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Does it come out that easily?

Is that part number 077115147A (radial shaft seal), as it seems to be from the old ETKA diagram?

Is there a part number for the seal or do you reuse it? Also, does it matter that it's the other way around (text stamped on it but not on photo further up)?

How do you torque it up to that crazy figure?
Usually yes. Its clamped between the crank sprocket and oil pump sprocket, so with the crank sprocket removed its basically just a fat washer with some oil film and the oil seal holding it in place. The trick is to pull it off straight. If you pull on one side it binds on the crank and won't come off, hence the two magnet sticks

Yes

The bushing has to be flipped around when replacing the seal so the new seal runs on a new surface, as the old one wears a groove in to the steel. The writing on the front is an imprint from the oil pump sprocket, which was on the back. In theory you'd probably need to replace it by the time the engine is on its 3rd seal, but we probably won't be allowed to burn dino squeezings any more by the time that comes around anyway.

Well, I like my food and I have a long bar 200Nm on a decent torque wrench is easy enough. I then use a 1M breaker bar and do two turns of 90° (I mark the bolt after 200Nm). The engine would simply flip over on to the floor with that much torque so I stand on one leg of the engine stand and push the bar away from me to keep all the effort in the one system.
Old 9th May 2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
The writing on the front is an imprint from the oil pump sprocket, which was on the back.
I noticed the "mirror writing" but didn't think about why! Now we know.
Edit: Looking at picture 4 of 12 above you can see where it came from!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th May 2022 at 06:47 PM.