A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Driving bliss

Driving bliss Best roads? Best music? Whatever makes your 8 the best place to be, share it with us

Old 18th September 2012, 12:14 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Is this a step too far?

In April this year, The Sunday Times published just 8 routes in the Travel section that each of their writers nominated as "their most memorable road trip ever".

Now, they nominated routes in Tasmania, Morocco, Switzerland, the USA (x2), Argentina, France and......

.......Scotland!

The Scottish route was Ullapool to Thurso, via Cape Wrath (in the news just now as the MOD is trying to buy the last bit for a firing range! So you might never be able to go there again.)

There's a cracking circular route from Inverness, returning via Tain on the east coast.

Now, this is probably a route that would require an overnight stay somewhere but I wondered if there were any of you daft enough to consider this as a 2 day Scottish meet, possibly in the Spring next year.

If there's enough interest (and speed limiters/partners would be welcome), then I'll start researching dates, a hotel and timings. Just add your name to this thread....
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th September 2012, 12:22 PM

Now if only you had done that in late June we were North of Ullapool for a whole week.

Probably did most of that route too, certainly went to Cape Wrath (by minibus though).

And I can DEFINITELY recommend one hotel just north of Ullapool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Achnahaird.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	1,021.1 KB
ID:	4755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0693.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	4756  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th September 2012, 12:23 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I think you have to do Cape Wrath by ferry and minibus
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th September 2012, 12:43 PM

You can take vehicles over, it's a public road, but you need to have it ferried over at a large fee on a flat barge presumably booked ahead. That's how the few vehicles there get in and out.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th September 2012, 12:50 PM

Sounds like a plan!

I know.. I know..

Old 18th September 2012, 01:04 PM

I know this area well. I lived in Thurso for 6 years until 2006. So, I've driven there using all the routes.

The route you suggest is indeed a really good one, however, Durness to Tongue is has a lot of very narrow single track for an A8. Not impossible, just very very slow.

I saw the signs in Tongue which said Durness 33 miles (I think), so I thought, 'that will be a nice 45 min jaunt on a Sunday afternoon'. 2 hours, 45 mins later, I came crawling into Durness, covering this single track road in an Audi S2 Avant, I was mostly in 2nd gear the whole time.

Don't get me wrong (not trying to put anyone off), it's a stunning route, just beware of that section though, it will be a very slow part of the route and you'll have to have your wits about you in the A8 because of it's width.

Depending on timing, I could be up for this too.
Extremely aggravated wife
Old 18th September 2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Now, this is probably a route that would require an overnight stay somewhere but I wondered if there were any of you daft enough to consider this as a 2 day Scottish meet, possibly in the Spring next year.
Give me a shout if you need any help, I know most of this area, and it's nice establishments. Not a problem to make this a 2 day and 2 night if you wanted, event.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:33 PM

Durness to Tongue is a doddle in an 8, done it several times.
Now the "Wee mad road" which I've also done many times (including this year as noted in another thread) really is tricky.
(Lochinver to Achiltibuie via Inverkirkaig and the famous bookshop at the end of the Universe! )
Old 18th September 2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Durness to Tongue is a doddle in an 8, done it several times.
Doddle? If you're happy to drive at an average of 15mph, then yes. Just saying it can take a while. You will be better qualified to judge though having done it. I based my statement on having done it in a smaller car, and still found it very narrow and slow. I would have imagined an A8 requiring more caution than an Audi 80 Avant.

Scenery is amazing though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Now the "Wee mad road" which I've also done many times (including this year as noted in another thread) really is tricky.
(Lochinver to Achiltibuie via Inverkirkaig and the famous bookshop at the end of the Universe! )
Don't think I've tried that one, although I've been to Lochinver a few times, just not that way via Inverkirkaig

Woudn't fancy Applecross road over the top either, that road scares me in any car! Vertigo!
Old 18th September 2012, 02:30 PM

I've been over Bealach na Bà a few times in cars of all sizes, including the 8 - it's a bit tight on some corners, but the power helps a lot.

First few times we went to Applecross there was no other road in so it was regularly isolated in winter.

If you do travel between Durness and Tongue take time out at the end of Loch Eriboll and walk up the valley there into the hills as far as you feel comfortable; it's superb.