A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 2nd June 2009, 12:34 PM

Default Urgent - ABS light and beep of doom!

Got in this morning pulled away and was greeted by beeping, an ABS light and the big red brake symbol on the display. I'm about to phone the independant I use but please tell me that sounds like just a sensor. I drove it gently to work and it seemed ok. I sometimes read that MAFs can throw similar signals about. Any reassurance gratefully received.

Bill

PS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:25 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Bill,

OMG Arrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
About as reassuring as I can get.

Hope it helps!

PS

Probably a wheel speed sensor. Whip em all out give em a good clean and re-insert them. Here is how.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:19 PM

Spoke to a8 parts. For future reference the big red brake symbol with exclamation mark often means that the ecu is unable to detect the presence of a sensor at all whereas the abs sensor light on it's own means that can still see the sensor but the readings back are a little odd.

For future reference 2: The disk that the sensor looks at is mounted to the driveshaft so if you damage the driveshaft you can kill the sensor as well. How NICE.

Happy days, will post a confirmed diagnosis later.

For future reference 3: If, like me, you're a paid up member of the owners club P&P is free from a8 parts. On something the weight of a drive shaft this saving can make a considerable contribution to your membership fee's for next year .

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:10 PM

Front o/s drive shaft and ABS sensor are winging their way to me tomorrow, arrive on Thursday. My grease monkey squeezed me in even though one of them is on holiday so it looks like I should make it on Sunday. .

Dealing with A8parts leaves such a lovely warm, fuzzy feeling in my tummy. If bits could just stop breaking please so I could save up for an S8 or a chipped 4.2 tdi that would be nice. The wife said that she wants another one when we kill this one, mostly because I can tell her what's wrong with it (thanks to you lot) and thanks to A8parts and a good mechanic it's cheap to fix. 9000 miles and it's cost me, even after this, less than £400 (not including £550 on tyres but don't tell the wife.) in servicing and maintenance. If it would just do more than 20mpg it would be perfect .

Bill

Last edited by billblank; 2nd June 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: apostrophe, bah.
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billblank View Post

Dealing with A8parts leaves such a lovely warm, fuzzy feeling in my tummy.
Bill
How odd Sounds like your in Love with A8 Parts
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
How odd Sounds like your in Love with A8 Parts
Having worked in the trade it's actually nice to deal with people who aren't bottom feeding, felching little barstewards. But yes, man love is well advanced, the things I would do to keep 300bhp and four wheel drive in my life with my meagre budget.....

You may now...

Bill

Old 3rd June 2009, 01:45 AM

Yeah, I agree. A8 Parts are great to deal with
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 5th June 2009, 12:34 PM

It's in surgery now, I have a horrible feeling that the graunching noise as I turn left is the rack not the cv joint/driveshaft and or the power steering pump is on the way out. I'm sitting in my room debating whether to call the garage and furiously procrastinating about completing my reports. Fingers crossed and if I do have to change the rack I'm doing the sodding pump as well.

Bill

Old 5th June 2009, 11:00 PM

4pm. "Bill the track rod end is fuct. do you want us to replace it?" Well what do you think monkey boy, as I have explained at some f****** length how I would really like to drive up to Leicester this weekend and would rather the car went in the direction I intended then maybe, just maybe, yes.

It turns out that speaking to the apprentice was bad for my blood pressure and Matt had already ordered the part but ye gods, young people today.....

Who cares, went for a pootle after rush hour this evening through the lanes and re enacted some scenes from my teenage years. It would seem that three of the four funny noises have gone leaving one for more expert ears than mine to ponder on sunday.

Yay I'm on day release!

Bill

Old 6th June 2009, 09:09 AM

Nice one bill! Bring on Sundaaaaaaay!!

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Tags
abs, grinding, groaning, knocking, notchy steering