A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 13th March 2014, 02:06 PM

Default Keyless Entry?

So, to unlock my car I can either use the remote or flick the handles up once (then a second time to open the door). And lock it by pressing hte button on the handle, or via the remote.

The build sheet of my car shows the advanced key/keyless option, but I just assumed it didnt have it as when I go near the car it doesnt unlock.

However, a couple of times in the last week before I have unlocked the car, it has unlocked by me simply standing beside it. From what I recall this has only happened at the drivers side front door.

Could battery life of the remote affect this? Or would it either work/not work just? Would it matter if the key was buried in a pocket below a jacket etc?

Just trying to get my head round why it doesnt work every time.
Old 13th March 2014, 02:41 PM

Battery life and 'stuff in the way' will affect it. My key lives in my right hand trouser pocket usually, and if my phone is in that pocket, it stops the keyless start working usually.

Off the top of my head, I get about 6 months from the key battery before it starts giving me the odd failure to open doors/start the car.

I know.. I know..

Old 13th March 2014, 06:49 PM

Well mine has keyless entry too, but it never opens if I'm just standing next to the car. I even changed the battery to the key fob. What could be the problem?
Old 13th March 2014, 06:49 PM

Excellent, thanks for that. When it's working as it should, how far from the car will it unlock?

Any idea of the type of battery needed, and how to split the key? For the sake of a few £ there's no harm in trying!
Old 13th March 2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
Excellent, thanks for that. When it's working as it should, how far from the car will it unlock?

Any idea of the type of battery needed, and how to split the key? For the sake of a few £ there's no harm in trying!
CR2032 battery, just pull the cover off
Old 13th March 2014, 07:06 PM

The car should not unlock itself with you standing next to it, if its doing this it means the touch sensor in the door handle is faulty. The fact that you need to lift the handle twice also points to this.

When you go to get in the car, it should unlock when you go to lift the handle on the first pull. The handle detects your hand, and then scans for the key. if the key is found then the door is unlocked. This all happens in a fraction of a second, a second pull should not be required.

If the door is unlocking with you next to it, it means the the handle thinks that someone is always touching it. This also causes another issue, the access control ECU never goes to sleep and thus is always draining power as it is constantly looking for the key.

Both my front door handles are faulty, but in a different way so I need two pulls to open the door but it never unlocks itself standing next to it. if I open the car with a rear door it usually opens on the first pull of the door handle.

If you scan the car with VCDS it will confirm which doors are faulty, for me its the front two only. The only fix is to replace the whole assembly because the touch sensor is part of the handle itself. I'm leaving mine as the door handles are not cheap and a pain to change.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 13th March 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 13th March 2014, 07:27 PM

That makes sense, thanks.

I had the car scanned a few weeks and no faults were found.

So as you touch the handle, it should unlock it just as you lift it up to open it?

Mine definitely need a lift to unlock, then a second to open.
Old 13th March 2014, 07:28 PM

I swapped the battery with that in the wife's Tiguan remote and it was no different. The car unlocked at the passenger side door but didn't do anything at the drivers door.

So each handle has its own sensor?
Old 13th March 2014, 07:37 PM

Thanks Mannyo, it turns out the rear door works just fine but front door I have to lift twice, so the sensor is probably broken on that one. It does not throw a fault code though.
Old 13th March 2014, 08:29 PM

in module 05, with mine VCDS reports.

2 Faults Found:
00190 - Driver's Door Handle Touch Sensor (G415)
007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100111
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 14
Reset counter: 102
Mileage: 208000 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.01.18
Time: 12:55:24

00191 - Passenger's Door Handle Touch Sensor (G416)
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 14
Reset counter: 59
Mileage: 208000 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.01.18
Time: 12:55:24

I can clear these, and they stay cleared until the handle is next used and then the fault recurs.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles