A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th October 2018, 09:05 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default ‘Clonking’ brakes

Since an MOT advisory on brakes a few months ago, I had new pads fitted, but my garage had to ‘trim’ the pads a bit to get them to fit. As a result, the brakes ‘clonked’ every time I switched from forword to reverse (and vice versa) and, on bumpy roads, at low speeds, there was a ‘clonky’ noise from the front.
I’ve now swapped the calipers (reconned by Pro Calipers - thanks Mark!) and had new Brembo pads fitted, but the ‘reverse clonk’ is still there, although the low speed ‘clonk’ does seem to have gone.
Any ideas folks?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 20th October 2018, 10:27 PM

Would it be a case where the garage have trimmed them too much, so allowing for too much movement, manifested by the 'clonk' you hear? As your example from forward to reverse, you've stopped with your foot on the brake, which would be keeping the pads raised slightly in the caliper. When you put it in reverse, and take your foot of the brake, the pads drop back to the bottom of the caliper giving the clonk. I'm assuming something similar is happening with normal driving. The pads are sitting at the bottom of the caliper, and when you brake, the pads are gripping the disc and being moved upwards to hit the top of the caliper, again giving the clonk.

With the new calipers and pads, the spacing is more like it should be, with the pads moving less. I'd suggest waiting for MJs input.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st October 2018, 09:39 AM

I had the exact same issue as you described. New Brembo pads fitted a few years back which had to be trimmed to fit followed by clonking when switching from reverse to drive; however when I had my calipers recondition by Pro Calipers a few months back with new Brembo pads it completely illiminated the brake knocking noise

Tom mentioned there was a fair bit of corrosion around the plates which needed addressing on both calipers and recommended a full recon instead of just a paint job. Apparently the plate corrosion would have caused the pads to move around (I’m not an expert but he seemed to know what he was talking about). Did you have the plates removed on your units as well?

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 21st October 2018, 11:37 AM

The calipers are newly reconditioned by Pro Calipers, but I’m not sure if the garage trimmed the pads. I’ll ask. Not sure exactly what was done as the calipers belonged to Mark and he had the reconditioning done. I think he had ‘the works, but I’m not sure.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 21st October 2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:50 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Not sure exactly what was done as the calipers belonged to Mark and he had the reconditioning done. I think he had ‘the works, but I’m not sure.
They were indeed fully refurbished. That seems to be one of Thomas' selling points in fact, that Pro Calipers are one of the few who properly strip and refurbish calipers, rather than just clean and re-paint them.

This was the email (and photos) he sent me:

Quote:
Hi Mark

Your calipers are all done.
There was one smaller piston that i have found a but pitted (pic attached) so i have replaced that piston free of charge as i missed it at first inspection and i don’t like changing costs after something has been agreed.

Regards
Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_124610_resized.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	20276   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_131309_resized.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	20277   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_131323_resized.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	20278  
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 21st October 2018, 03:03 PM

I went throught the same thing, but refused to trim new Brembo pads as I couldnt believe that that should be necessary or right. Thats when I got speaking to Pro-calipers and why I went with them because they split the block and then straighten the stainless steel pad guides which get distorted from corrosion build up.. Any garage who trims new Brembo pads to fit in Brembo calipers should be asking themselves whats causing this rather than going for the easy option. My bet is that your pads are now loose in the properly sized pad guides.
Old 21st October 2018, 07:04 PM

I’ll call the garage tomorrow, but why would they feel the need to trim the pads in newly refurbished calipers?
Old 21st October 2018, 08:50 PM

I missed the bit in your first post where you said you put new Brembo pads into the calipers refurbished by Pro-Calipers ( I thought the trimmed pads had been put in). So, like you, I am surprised the clonk is still there. Let us know what the garage say.
Old 22nd October 2018, 09:25 AM

My guess is they didn't fit new pads

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey