A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 23rd March 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
I wouldn't run higher-wattage bulbs. If they aren't relayed (as I suspect they're not) you run the risk of melting the wiring, burning out your switch contacts, or worse burning your entire dash wiring harness.

^^^^^ This 100%

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:44 PM

The OEM fog lamps are 55 watt I do believe, or at least 35 watt.

The HID kit for the fogs that I'm using is 35 watt, so no worries there.

The low beams on my car are OEM HID's, but I have no doubt that putting 55 watt ballasts on this system will not create any undue heating stress on the wires/loom/switches etc.

All the halogen light low and high beams are 55 watt OEM, so again, no issue if you are upgradeing or changing out from Halogen to HID.

And the reality is after the first draw of power to ignight the bulb, HID's draw a lower current value than does a halogen bulb. That reduction in amps puts less stress on your alternator over time, so I don't see a downside.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjuster View Post
The OEM fog lamps are 55 watt I do believe, or at least 35 watt.

The HID kit for the fogs that I'm using is 35 watt, so no worries there.

The low beams on my car are OEM HID's, but I have no doubt that putting 55 watt ballasts on this system will not create any undue heating stress on the wires/loom/switches etc.

All the halogen light low and high beams are 55 watt OEM, so again, no issue if you are upgradeing or changing out from Halogen to HID.

And the reality is after the first draw of power to ignight the bulb, HID's draw a lower current value than does a halogen bulb. That reduction in amps puts less stress on your alternator over time, so I don't see a downside.
I'm referring to upgrading 55W halogens to higher (90/110/130). These will cause issues. Upgrading 35W HID to 55W won't cause any issues.

OEM foglamps are 55W halogens. If you're fitting a HID kit, I wouldn't exceed 3000k, in either 35 or 55W guise. If you go too white, they will be useless in fog. The glare will actually blind you.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.