A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 22nd March 2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I'll be popping up to Sutton in the next week or so to see if the 'Philips' D2R bulbs this bloke is selling look the genuine article or not at 27 quid a pop
Is that each, or for a pair?

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:25 AM

Thats each, but they do appear to be genuine philips

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:44 PM

Being a newbie (who now has Iceblue8's first S8 mentioned at the start of this thread back in 2010!) I have been trying to get to grips with this b-xenon thing. I do have the bi-xenon unit (as shown earlier) and the xenon lamp does move when switching from dip to main. The problem initially confusing me was that there is a main beam halogen supplementary light which comes on too at high beam. (I guess I thought that the bi-xenons did away with halogen altogether.)

This does appear quite yellow compared with the xenon so i wondering whether that halogen lamp could be upgraded to a better (halogen) lamp without disturbing the system? At present it is a Osram 63210 12v 55w H7U.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:21 PM

The halogen lamp in the bi-xenon cluster has 2 functions,

1) its used when you flash your headlights by pulling the indicator stalk towards you, and in this case the xenon remains off. Xenons do not like being turned on / off for short periods and take a while to warm up to temperature and provide full light, far longer than a quick flash.

2) it supplements the main beam when in use, although most of the main beam light is xenon.

Any H7 bulb should the bill as a replacement.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:26 PM

I fitted Philips X-treme Vision +100% bulbs to my high beam assist and front fogs - you can actually tell when the lights are on now in the dark whereas the old ones made no difference whatsoever to the light output!!

You can pick them up for a tenner on ebay from the Channel Islands and they turn up nice and quick

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I fitted Philips X-treme Vision +100% bulbs to my high beam assist and front fogs - you can actually tell when the lights are on now in the dark whereas the old ones made no difference whatsoever to the light output!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
2) it supplements the main beam when in use, although most of the main beam light is xenon.

Any H7 bulb should the bill as a replacement.
Thanks for the help guys. It is all becoming as clear as, well, xenon! I shall probably look at some improved output halogen H7s. Iceblue8 is right - its often dark and wet up here and you need every bit of help you can get.
I did check the xenons and they are D2R.
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:12 PM

Here in the USA, we don't have the Bi-HID lights on the D2's, but my D3 had that feature, and it just flipped a small panel in the projector lamp.

But, as noted here, the "high beam" was still an halogen 55 watt bulb. (Easy upgrade to a higher watt bulb if you want, or going to a "silver star" or similar light, whatever they might call it in your neck of the woods. )
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjuster View Post
Easy upgrade to a higher watt bulb if you want
Not legal in UK and probably not anywhere in the EU.
But there are plenty of "higher output" legal filament bulbs available and that's what I have in mine.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:42 AM

Not legal in the USA either.

But how much do you run around with your high beams on?

They do not check them here in Idaho, but I suppose some states might, but it's more if they work, than what the wattage of the bulb on the high beams is.

I've run 55 watt HID's in non-HID housings/lamps for a few years now, and they are very bright.

My daughter got pulled over for speeding, and the officer asked if she had her bright lights on, but she was only cited for speeding, no issue on the lights once the officer saw the van was loaded with people, and that explained the high light pattern. (I see it all the time around here, especially trucks pulling trailers have the lights too high on low beam, but nobody does much about it.)

Personally, I have my lights adjusted so the cut off/pattern does not blind other traffic, but provides a better than stock view at night.
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:59 AM

I wouldn't run higher-wattage bulbs. If they aren't relayed (as I suspect they're not) you run the risk of melting the wiring, burning out your switch contacts, or worse burning your entire dash wiring harness.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.