A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 23rd October 2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankow View Post
Fitted them last week
I wouldn't even know where to start doing that, I think I must still have the original (very yellow) 1998 bulbs!
It looks like I'd have to take off the HID ballasts for the dipped beams then the back of the headlight unit just to get at them.
I know it was quite a mission to do that a couple of years back just to replace a failed (filament) main-beam bulb.

Or is there a trick to it that I don't know....

I've tried LED sidelights in my local runaround (Focus) but they don't last long. Look good, but I'm told the heat from the nearby main beams makes them fail.
Reverted to standard bulbs on that just last week after trying something like 4 different designs, none of which lasted very long.
Old 24th October 2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue8 View Post
Interesting. Mine are a bayonet fitting, but the ones fromUltraLeds only have 2 LEDs

I had the same ones, like a small PCB with an LED on each side, but one failed after only a few months of use.

The one in my last link are much brighter and whiter, with the LED's being radial the light is emitted much better, I'll go and take a pic in a minute.
Old 24th October 2011, 06:59 PM

A few pics, not great quality as their from an iphone and the car is parked too close to a wall but I couldn't be bothered to move it tonight.

OH, A WORD OF WARNING - the bulbs are quite small and whilst trying to twist the bulb in it's connector into the housing it came out and fell into the front of the housing. I managed to remove the lamp fairly easily and unclip the fixings that hold the lens to the housing. I tilted the whole unit forward and managed to roll the bulb out, still not fun though!!

Last edited by frankow; 24th October 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 24th October 2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I wouldn't even know where to start doing that, I think I must still have the original (very yellow) 1998 bulbs!
It looks like I'd have to take off the HID ballasts for the dipped beams then the back of the headlight unit just to get at them.
I know it was quite a mission to do that a couple of years back just to replace a failed (filament) main-beam bulb.

Or is there a trick to it that I don't know....

I've tried LED sidelights in my local runaround (Focus) but they don't last long. Look good, but I'm told the heat from the nearby main beams makes them fail.
Reverted to standard bulbs on that just last week after trying something like 4 different designs, none of which lasted very long.
I'm talking about side lights here, not looked at what is involved to replace a HID bulb but I wouldn't think it should be too bad?
Old 24th October 2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankow View Post
I'm talking about side lights here
Indeed, maybe my post wasn't clear or you misread it?

What I'm saying is that, unless there's a trick I've missed, even replacing the sidelight bulb is a total mission on my car.
Old 24th October 2011, 07:23 PM

My mis-read!

They are a little fiddly on the Bixenons as the socket is so deep, not good for my sausage fingers!
Old 24th October 2011, 07:39 PM

Mine are just HID dipped, normal bulb main. PITA.
Old 27th March 2012, 05:46 PM

Question

One of my ultra led (2 led ones) ones has just failed after little more than a year. Anyone found anything more reliable? Not happy with the poor lifespan...

zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 27th March 2012, 07:26 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Mine were c**p too! Both failed within a year and the company completely ignored my emails. Now installed Ultra Power Bulbs (Art: BU434P) but they've only been in a couple of weeks or so.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 28th March 2012, 10:58 AM

Frankow, I've got a similar set-up in my sides, so all white, matches the Bi-Xenons perfectly.

Have you done anything about your H7 flashers, to match the white look of the rest?

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.