A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 22nd February 2011, 04:09 PM

Fitted some new bulbs today, thought I may as well do both while i'm at it and what a great opportunity to change from 4,300 kelvin bulbs to 5,000 kelvin. It's the perfect combo IMO. Still looks OEM but instead of an occasional yellow hue it's now white. I'm awaiting nightfall now so I can try the difference. 5000kelvin should give a little less light then 4300kelvin in theory however the bulbs that were in the car were old and only gave out the same amount of light as a halogen and were no match for my old plus headlights. I'll report back after sunset and some country lanes
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:53 PM

Kelvin on Xenon bulbs changes with age anyway - the kelvin increases, and less less light output as you say.

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:14 PM

Amar

What's the correct fitting for bi-xenon bulbs? Just wanted to check for future reference as the manual very handily says changing bulbs is beyond the wit of intelligent Audi customers and to refer to your dealer

I seem to be in need of a few bulbs - keep getting a bulb failure warning that I'm thinking is brake light, but the lights are working fine statically. I'm thinking one of them may be a cheap dodgy bulb (they're stop and tail so plenty of scope for naff bulbs) so going to replace regardless and see if it cures it. The rear roof light isn't working either, although the map lights are so appears to have power.
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:45 PM

Adrian you will need D2S bulbs. I think my Bi Xenons are from an early car and it actually had D2R bulbs in it, exactly the same as far as I could see though so maybe the R has now changed to S. I'd recommend 5,000k though. No yellow hue like you get on the 4300k. They have made an amazing difference in reflections etc...
Edit: Audi are right in the sense that Xenon bulbs have 20,000 volts going to them when you initially turn them on so keep the key out the ignition and lights of when you change then and you'll be fine. Audi want £100+ each a bulb so don't bother with them, I think standard fitment was osram. Powerbulbs.co.uk should sort you out for about £40ish quid.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds

Last edited by Singh; 22nd February 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:14 PM

I think S = Straight and R = Reflected. So the R's bounce their illumination onto the back reflector in the headlamp and thence out the front. While I guess straight just bung it straight out the front, with a lens to focus it.
I don't think they are interchangeable.

I investigated importing these when I paid £105 to replace one in an Omega back in 2001/2

Thankfully prices have since dropped
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:30 PM

It might be useful if we could all try and chip in to a database of bulbs and their codes for A8/S8 by model/type and then refer to a table of bulbs on the same sticky?

I for one would find that very useful as reference every time a bulb goes!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Adrian you will need D2S bulbs.....Edit: Audi are right in the sense that Xenon bulbs have 20,000 volts going to them when you initially turn them on so keep the key out the ignition and lights of when you change then and you'll be fine. Audi want £100+ each a bulb so don't bother with them, I think standard fitment was osram. Powerbulbs.co.uk should sort you out for about £40ish quid.
Cheers chap

I can understand the xenons being a bit of a risky venture if you have to account for clowns wielding screwdrivers digging around to change the bulbs, but the handbook doesn't even tell you how to access the bulbs in the rear of the car (which is obvious when you look and not remotely difficult) or the interior lights (also easy if you've owned a few VAG cars)

I like the idea of the bulb info sticky - would take the risk out for many people.

Another good site for bulbs is www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk - I ordered Philips X-Treme Vision +100% bulbs for my A6 (H7 fit) and just bought another set for my dad's A4 as they are mind-blowingly better than the ones that were fitted. The A6 was dangerous to drive at night in wet weather as you couldn't see unless you put the front fogs on!

I actually find the S8 bi-xenons no brighter than the Philips bulbs above, but they do have nice controlled light pattern.

The auto bulbs site suggests:

Xenon headlights/bi-xenons - D2S
Flash/main beam support on bi-xenons - H7
Main beam - H9 (presumably for non bi-xenon cars)
Interior - 269
Sidelight - 501 (odd fitment)
Indicator (front) - 581
Fogs (front) - H7
Stop/tail - 380
Reverse - 382
Indicator (rear) - 382
Reg plate - 269
Fog (rear) - 382 (not sure if 1 or 2 as not checked)

I suspect there's more than 1 type of interior bulb to cover the map, interior and puddle lights so these could be updated with specific info?

Apparently Philips and Osram are the only 2 manufacturers who make their bulbs in the EC now - the rest are made in China and from past work related experience the QC goes right out the window when they are!

Last edited by Adrian E; 27th September 2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: amended to incl flash and update fogs
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:02 AM

Ah, the Omega - first production car to use xenon lights circa 1994?

501 -still remarkably common as a sidelight bulb.

Adrian, my rear courtesy light plays up. Bad connection somewhere as I have to give it a tap when the rear doors are open to get it to work on damp/cold days.

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:16 AM

Yeah, my A6 requires the occasional jog to keep it working - this does appear to be utterly dead. Didn't have a suitable screwdriver to hand to remove the cover last night without risk of damage so left it for another day
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:31 PM

Im not particularly amazed by how bright my xenon plus's are, so maybe they need new bulbs? hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
Ah, the Omega - first production car to use xenon lights circa 1994?
Im sure I read somewhere that BMW developed xenons, being the first manufacturer to use them on the 7 series. I could be wrong though.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.