A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 10th December 2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Hello folks! Did you get any further forward with this A8Chick?
I have the same problem.

My 2006 3.0TDI A8 is rather slow to warm up, and never seems to get to 90˚c in fact it seems happier at 60-70˚c.

I replaced the thermostat with a genuine one as I know these are known to stick open, no change.

Next I replaced the G62 coolant temp sensor to no avail.

The Webasto is working fine and I am manually turning it on, but still running cool.

The heaters in the car get warm but not hot like my old passat which suggests it really isn't getting warm, but could be a red herring.

Any tips? TIA.
Unfortunately I can't help yet as I still haven't sussed this

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:26 AM

As far as I can tell only reason for running cold is faulty thermostat. If the thermostat is working correctly coolant does not go through radiator and fans can work at full blast it will still warm up properly.

Another possibility is that it is just reporting temperature incorrectly. Not sure about 3.0 TDI but many cars have several(2) temp sensors.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th December 2011, 01:51 PM

You are right, the radiator is getting warm, and it shouldn't when the engine is not reaching the 84˚c marked on the thermostat.

Today, I cleaned the engine and went for a blast in the countryside in sports mode to dry it out. The gauge never went past 60˚C and was happier at just 50˚C.

When I got home and opened the bonnet it was barely lukewarm, not the usually heat radiation you feel on your face from healthy cars and some parts such as injector pipes were stone cold. I used an infrared thermometer to check various parts of the engine, the hottest were about 57˚C apart from the EGR pipe and turbocharger shield which aren't cooled. If it was the water pump, it would definitely overheat and I think would show a high temp on the gauge as the coolant temp sender is in a place where this would be detected.

The engine looked very clean, finished a few bits off with brake cleaner and used some Tectane engine lacquer. Looks like new now.

I think I'll buy another thermostat, it's a simple 15 minute job the second time round.

I'll return the old one if it makes a difference. I know I could test this one in a bucket of scalding water, but with the slight hassle of removing it, I'd rather just put a new one on while it's off as it was quite cheap from TPS.

Last edited by snapdragon; 10th December 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10th December 2011, 02:27 PM

My other car (Focus) was running very cold the other day and giving pathetic output from the heater, so I had the thermostat replaced which fixed it.
(didn't do it myself and had a few other minor things done at the same time by my tame mechanic)

But looking at the old thermostat you could see that the central moving part was not moving true and was catching on one side on the body.
I did some tests with boiling water and discovered that it was basically catching so staying stuck in one position, though it could be freed by wiggling or a rapid temperature change.
I suspect it had been misbehaving for some time but it needed a nice cold snap to make it obvious.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:08 PM

Well. I don't know what it can be. I bought another thermostat today and thoroughly inspected and tested it in a saucepan. It opened when the water was about 90*c. I just fitted it after work and refilled and bled the coolant with the 3 bleeding points. Tested the old one. Just the same as the new one in the pan. Went out for an hour run and took ages to warm and only reached 70*c as with the original and first new one.

I will do more tests tomorrow and try disconnecting the fans.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:24 PM

If they are viscous fans then maybe the viscous coupling is faulty and sticking the fans so the blades are always rotating

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th December 2011, 09:49 PM

In the past when I've has a viscous fan seize up, in other words it works full on all the time - hot or cold, then you get a lot of fan noise when you rev.
Normally the fan will semi idle when cold and only begin to lock up and spin with the engine when it gets warm or hot.
Have a listen
Old 14th December 2011, 08:24 AM

Thanks. I still haven't done much testing of the radiator temp to see if it gets warm too early, because a) it's hard to get to any part of it and b) it is usually raining or dark when I drive.

There is no viscous fan on this model, just two electric ones which run at ~12% duty cycle from the word go. I haven't yet found if this is normal, but for comparison, I read on an A4 forum that it is normal for one to run all the time unless outside temp is under 5˚C.

Last edited by snapdragon; 20th December 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:18 AM

New genuine temp sensor fitted last night, but still never got over 75˚C in over an hour of urban driving in sport mode.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Well. I don't know what it can be. I bought another thermostat today and thoroughly inspected and tested it in a saucepan. It opened when the water was about 90*c. I just fitted it after work and refilled and bled the coolant with the 3 bleeding points. Tested the old one. Just the same as the new one in the pan. Went out for an hour run and took ages to warm and only reached 70*c as with the original and first new one.

I will do more tests tomorrow and try disconnecting the fans.
Just a guess- maybe it is getting twisted/squeezed when fitted in housing which restricts free movement?

Also once the thermostat I tested in boiled water seamed to work correctly and I only noticed that it is not closing properly later. It was hard to see because of the shape but it always stuck little open about 1.5mm but what are the chances of it happening with 2 new thermostats.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure