A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th October 2011, 10:53 AM

Default Glow plug light flashing & Engine management light staying on.

I have an intermittent issue, and a VCDS lead which is playing up-it will feed me codes, but give no explanations to them.

Codes are as follows:

02273 ; 02272 ; 00526 ; 00003 ; 004195 (P1063) ; 005715 (P1653) ; 001025 (P0401) ; 006256 (P1870)

Now, if I accelerate hard, the glow plug light starts flashing and I enter limp mode... Turning the car off and then back on resets the car back to normal driving, minus the ability to put my foot down over 2,000rpm to just repeat the process!

This morning, the engine check light came on also, and has since stayed on after turning the car off and on again.

I have done a little research online, and I have discovered that it is fairly common for this to happen to the 3.0 TDI D3's, and in fact the part which is most commonly at fault is the Boost Pressure Sensor. (Thrust Sensor if you're an Audi Parts guy)

I have ordered this from Audi and it will be with me tomorrow, at £44.00 it's not too sad if it fixes my baby. I miss her oomph!

I have no other symptoms asides what I have detailed above, but if anyone could possibly shed some light over that array of numbers above (VCDS codes) I would be ever so grateful.

I will update this when I have fitted this sensor-it's supposed to be a complete pain in the arse to do so this should be amusing!

I am replacing the EGR Valve tonight-if I can do that I am convinced I can do anything PMSL!!!!

I am sharing this because I hope to cure her and alert people of this issue, although it's supposed to be quite common, it took a hell of a long time to find info online that was of any use! So hopefully this may help others out, fingers crossed this pretty cheap part does the trick!

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:26 PM

Could only find these ones.

00526 - Brake Light Switch (F): Circuit Malfunction http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00526
00003 - Control module defective http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00003
18061/P1653/005715 - Please check DTC Memory of ABS Controller http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...1/P1653/005715
16785/P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: Insufficient Flow Detected http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...5/P0401/001025

Though, if you're having problems with the EGR, that may have a knock-on effect on the rest of the engine management.

I know.. I know..

Old 27th October 2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Could only find these ones.

00526 - Brake Light Switch (F): Circuit Malfunction http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00526
00003 - Control module defective http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00003
18061/P1653/005715 - Please check DTC Memory of ABS Controller http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...1/P1653/005715
16785/P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: Insufficient Flow Detected http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...5/P0401/001025

Though, if you're having problems with the EGR, that may have a knock-on effect on the rest of the engine management.
Thanks hun - thats what I was hoping. Being that these A8's are so electrically controlled

I shall update the thread tomorrow or this evening once I've done the EGR (and droplinks-but not exactly an interest to most people lol)

I'm borrowing a friends computer to plug in after I've done the work (it's not VCDS in case you're wondering why I didn't check the codes above again lol) so I will update with the progress of the fault codes too

I can't update the pressure sender yet though because I won't be picking it up until tomorrow morning-thats more than likely a job for the weekend

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:12 AM

Just a quick update on this-I have replaced the EGR valve, and although the car is a little less sensitive to going into limp mode under harder acceleration, it still does go "limp" on me. So this was obviously not the cause for this particular running issue-and most probably wasn't even faulty in the first place

I will be collecting my new brake light switch and the Boost/Thrust pressure sensor soon I hope (It's at Audi-just haven't had the time to get up there!)

Old 9th November 2011, 04:32 PM

I can update this now as I fitted the new boost sensor. No avail unfortunately, the other avenues to now look at are the AFM and the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I removed the AFM hoping to be ablt to give it a clean with carb cleaner, but in true Audi form, there is no access to the wires inside courtesy of a pretty little plastic shroud Thanks Audi!

So if there is anyone local to me (Sevenoaks) who has a D3 3.0 TDI who has 30 mins to spare, I would love to try someone elses AFM to see if that fixes her. Beer tokens available

Old 10th November 2011, 12:31 PM

Does your car have a diesel particulate filter?
Old 10th November 2011, 04:56 PM

A friend of mine had a similar experience with an Audi, not an '8 though.

It kept dropping to Limp home especially after going fast then braking.

The Dealer said new g'box sir!

A chance conversation with a mechanic in a pub led him to renewing the Brake Light Switch.

It seems the Computer sees a fault in the brakes so drops it to Limp home to stop you killing yourself

Did you change the switch as I see there is a fault noted?

Stew,
Old 11th November 2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
Does your car have a diesel particulate filter?

Errrmmm, a wha'?????

Sorry you've completely lost me there How would I know whether such a part was on my Audrey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
A friend of mine had a similar experience with an Audi, not an '8 though.

It kept dropping to Limp home especially after going fast then braking.

The Dealer said new g'box sir!

A chance conversation with a mechanic in a pub led him to renewing the Brake Light Switch.

It seems the Computer sees a fault in the brakes so drops it to Limp home to stop you killing yourself

Did you change the switch as I see there is a fault noted?

Stew,
I did indeed fit both the new brake light switch (what a pain in the arse to get to!) and the boost sensor. Unless it needs the old faults cleared (which I doubt) it was to no avail

I was hoping the brake light switch would cure the sluggish starting but it looks like I need a starter motor too

I have no access to VCDS anymore either as my friends lead has broken

Bex

Old 12th November 2011, 07:30 AM

A dpf is in the exhaust. Ring Audi and ask them if it has one. without the Vcds we might struggle..... Any weird lights on the dash? How many miles on it?

With the glow plug flashing it normally points at the injection system. Sometimes injectors, or other such area.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:20 PM

Any joy getting this sorted hun?