A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 4th January 2013, 08:40 AM

Default b1 s2 o2 sensor (lambda)

can anyone help please. ive tried searching but cant find any posts

i took my car to get the o2 sensor (lambda sensor) changed but the garage dont know which sensor to change.

4.2 petrol v8

i told them i have 2 changeable sensors and 2 regulator sensors that stay in place so 4 all together i think.

now the bank 1 sensor 2 position location is a headache with them, i said bank 1 is passenger side, and sensor 2 is the changeable one near the manifold. am i right? thats what ive been reading so please dont shoot me if im wrong.

can anyone help or have diagrams to show where my sensor is so i can get it changed or even do it myself.

ill post up vcds if you want but its just saying, b1 s2 signal too high and b1 s2 intermittent or something but yeh ill get it up. just using different laptop my vcds laptop is dead, need to charge it
Old 4th January 2013, 10:15 AM

I thought bank one was drivers side (assuming the car is RHD) that is on the left had side as you look at the front of the car.

Sensor 1 would be pre-cat (difficult to get to) and sensor 2 would be post-cat, underneath the car after the cat so much easier to get to but still probably very tight to remove.

Swapped the pre-cat lambdas on my 40v 4.2 in my S6 last year when I replaced the downpipes.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4834

Last edited by richyb66; 4th January 2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:47 AM

i am sooo confused mate. ive read so many different things online. and i had a mobile mechanic come out do some diagnostics (before i had vcds) and he said he would find out which one needs changing, came back to me and said passenger side as well.

so i dont know if its different to yours or if what your saying is right.

and when i looked under the car i could only see 2 sensors lambda sensors, 1 passenger and 1 drivers side, and they were up by the side of the engine, and the connection plugs was below near the cat.

coudlnt see anymore snesors tbh unless i did not look properly which sometimes i dont lol. but would be hard to miss a lambda sensor, ive changed many on my vr6's mk3 golf, my mini, but this is just a PITA!

and it causes so many problems. when i start the car it will crank over then shut down, so i have to rev it while starting, then its fine. also blows out loads of smoke when i first start it up then goes. i had changed the coil packs as well and MAF sensor as the coil packs were going off one by one, even the new ones. so yeh coil pack so far so good. but i need to change that lambda sensor before it starts knocking things off, as the all the coil packs are and MAF sensor.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:12 PM

there looks to be only one either side as you say
See HERE on about the fourth and fifth pictures down and also see HERE for how to remove manifold on the right side which shows how the sensors are plugged in.

My understanding was also that Bank 1 was RH side as youre sat in the drivers seat

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 4th January 2013, 01:21 PM

Bank 1 is always the one in with cylinder 1, that would be the one on the right side of car as you sit in it. Sensor 1 is always closest to engine(pre cat) and sensor 2 is further from engine (post cat). PF 8's only have sensor one, FL cars have both sensors. Sensor 2 is only there to monitor cat efficiency. They are all changeable. What was the exact fault code? It could be faulty cat or sensor.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 4th January 2013, 06:31 PM

thanks for that been much help. im also on the audiworld us forum, they say the opposite, am i right in thinking that may be because everything is LHD so engine and everything else follows that suit...?

well when i go down to my mates garage, ill have a look out for everything you guys said.

am i right in assuming that s1 would need the engine removing? or can all the sensors be removed using my brain my mates brains loads of bluepoint tools and some chocolate milk from tescos....? lol

heres the post can someone interpret it for me please..... ;

17981 - Left Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N144): Open Circuit
P1573 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16420 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Heating Circuit: Malfunction / Open Circuit
P0036 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - MIL ON
17983 - Right Engine Mount Solenoid Valve (N145): Short to Plus
P1575 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
17002 - SAE - Alternative Fuel Control Module: Non Volatile Memory Error
P0618 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - MIL ON
17540 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1&B2 S1; Heating Circuit: Short to Plus
P1132 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
17535 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Rich
P1127 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 1100

please note i recently changed the MAF sensor so apart from the mounts and b1 s2, the rest all are new since the change of MAF including the 17540- b1&b2 s1.