A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th January 2013, 02:26 PM

Default broken part, dont know what it is.... :(

hi guys can you help.

i was changing my tempreture sensor behind the engine today, and decided to have a quick snoop around.

when i pulled of the front 4.2 v8 cover, underneath i noticed there was 2 pump kinda things.

so looking closer i noticed there are 2 leavers which are supposed to be connected to the pumps. however these links are broken pictured in red circles.

in the picture highlighted in red with a ? mark is the part im talking about, which when i pulled the tip expands, and the other pic is when i push it back in. its like 2 air pumps.

so the question is:

1. what is this?
2. how can i resolve the broken links?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	363
Size:	623.1 KB
ID:	5555   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	5556  
Old 11th January 2013, 02:44 PM

also ive just noticed and went out to check, there seems to be a star head bolt highlighted in red, which is "screwed" into a rubber tube that goes into the top head of the engine.

is that supposed to be there? the screw im talking about not the rubber tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	300
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	5557  
Old 11th January 2013, 02:45 PM

Yes its the manifold valve actuators and the arms frequently break - certainly on D2s. There is a thread about this somewhere... cant find it at the mo but I will try and find it for you.
Old 11th January 2013, 02:55 PM

Link to the D2 manifold problem thread here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...light=manifold

Hope that this helps.
Old 11th January 2013, 03:05 PM

Bear in mind that they are likely to have broken because the manifold flaps have stuck or are seized which are a 2 or 3 stage set of flaps that are either -
Both closed
One open
Both open

Mine stuck earlier this year and there is a procedure on Audipages for cleaning and servicing the issue without full removal. MkOneMan did this to my car before I went to Germany in August. Mine were both stuck open meaning the performance was more sluggish at low speeds and normal at higher revs/ speeds. I would try to get the Audipages procedure done first to try and free up the flaps before replacing the broken arms. You can get metal arm replacements but they were made of plastic so that if the flaps stuck as they have it wouldn't damage the engine.

Good luck with getting it looked at. If you don't succeed with the servicing option that I had then Daviesbike on this forum was offering a refurb service if I remember correctly where you send the flaps and housing in and get a working set back

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th January 2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Yes its the manifold valve actuators and the arms frequently break - certainly on D2s. There is a thread about this somewhere... cant find it at the mo but I will try and find it for you.
thanks for that much appreciated. yeh been reading loads, and seems nearly every one has had this problem. how stupid to make it plastic. same like the temoreture sensor, it has only a C clip holding it in place and its plastic. are audi stupid?! i know a company needs to make money but really, do they need 35p for a c clip that ive broken twice trying to get in. rdiculous isnt the word.

but yeh thanks again lol
Old 11th January 2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Bear in mind that they are likely to have broken because the manifold flaps have stuck or are seized which are a 2 or 3 stage set of flaps that are either -
Both closed
One open
Both open

Mine stuck earlier this year and there is a procedure on Audipages for cleaning and servicing the issue without full removal. MkOneMan did this to my car before I went to Germany in August. Mine were both stuck open meaning the performance was more sluggish at low speeds and normal at higher revs/ speeds. I would try to get the Audipages procedure done first to try and free up the flaps before replacing the broken arms. You can get metal arm replacements but they were made of plastic so that if the flaps stuck as they have it wouldn't damage the engine.

Good luck with getting it looked at. If you don't succeed with the servicing option that I had then Daviesbike on this forum was offering a refurb service if I remember correctly where you send the flaps and housing in and get a working set back
thanks for this.

do you have a link for the procedure by any chance?

and i doubt i need them refurbing, as when i move the flap arms, they move freely, still spring loaded as well. but you never know tbh.
Old 11th January 2013, 05:05 PM

Yep the link is HERE

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th January 2013, 05:54 PM

oh right cheers thanks for that. i saw that already but did not realise it was the sameish procedure for my d3.

thanks tho.

ill let you know once im done with the meccano and tie wraps lol as £90 is a bit too much for some metal links i can make. im kinda handy with a drill, hammer, grinder and screwdriver lol
Old 27th January 2013, 08:44 AM

I'm just curious, when those flaps/arms are broken is this visible via some sort of VAGCOM engine error?