A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 25th November 2020, 09:39 AM

Talking Love this thing.

Hi,
I’m ashamed to say that after asking MJ to make up some hard lines for my newly refurbished front brakes at the beginning of the year, I bought my S4 Cab on a whim, and the poor S8 sat standing until a couple of weeks back when I was forced to put it through its postponed COVID MOT. The S4 attracted a light restoration and a few mods, and the sun was shining....so you would, wouldn’t you??

A bad dose of COVID in April/May, then a suspected heart attack as a direct consequence of the COVID in early June means I’ve had a eventful year, to say the least. That’s a whole other story for another day....needless to say, please don’t catch it!!

Anyway, S8 passed with no advisories, and back in it again reminds me what a fantastic car this thing is. I’ve had it for nearly 13 years, and despite a slightly over-crowded drive, my wife will not convince me to sell it!!

Best wishes to all.

Zip

PS: gratuitous photo of new brakes, nice clean arch and painted back plate, and MJ’s pretty hard lines...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBBFF7D5-FDB4-4CE8-93BD-4FD6DD4AF2C3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	24635   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E5E4D7D-1CF6-4AE4-A799-C6B5C868D2E3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	24636   Click image for larger version

Name:	24FF5EB4-E434-4945-92F8-FCB82B066FC1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	24637  

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust

Last edited by Zip; 25th November 2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 25th November 2020, 10:22 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Sorry to hear about your health issues, but pleased to see you seem to be well enough to ‘play’ with the S8.

And “the poor S8 sat standing ...” reminded me of a nonsense poem that my (late) father used to recite:

If was Christmas Day in the workhouse
And the snow was raining fast
A bare-footed girl with clogs on
Stood sitting on the grass

A happy memory - thankyou!

Anyone know this poem - there are other verses. I recall one of them:

I went to the pictures tomorrow
And took a front seat at the back
Then fell from the pit to the gallery
And broke a front bone in my back.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th November 2020, 10:27 AM

Jeez what a year but glad to hear you've all passed your MoTs ! It never ceases to amaze me how so many people treat CoVid with such a careless attitude given that, whilst they may be OK, people they pass it on to can suffer so badly.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post

And “the poor S8 sat standing ...” reminded me of a nonsense poem that my (late) father used to recite:

If was Christmas Day in the workhouse
And the snow was raining fast
A bare-footed girl with clogs on
Stood sitting on the grass

A happy memory - thankyou!

Anyone know this poem - there are other verses. I recall one of them:

And took a front seat at the back
Then fell from the pit to the gallery
And broke a front bone in my back.
I got a front seat at the back
A lady gave me an ice cream
I ate it and gave it her back.

Also, from Jimi Hendrix:

One bright morning in the middle of the night
Two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
Drew their swords and shot one another

A sleeping policeman heard the noise
Came and shot, them two dead boys.....
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 26th November 2020, 11:55 AM

Glad to hear you've made a good recovery Zip, wish you all the best.
Thats 2 very nice cars you have there to play with!
Keep on keeping on!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th November 2020, 04:18 PM

Great that you've come through Zip and hopefully your Covid will not be too long.
Keep safe everyone and hopefully we'll be able to get together at the postponed meet.
Old 26th November 2020, 04:30 PM

Blimey! that sounds like a tough time, and hopefully that's all behind you now. The only good thing about an illness like that is that you appreciate what you've got - including lovely cars - all the more when you feel right again

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 26th November 2020, 09:25 PM

Exclamation ,

Indeed...been quite a year. I still don’t have my sense of smell back, and my cardiac MRI also showed up severe scarring on the back of my left lung from the pneumonia. Weirdly, I didn’t have the dry cough or breathlessness at all... I am now part of a national study group on the whole Long COVID thing.

And keep in mind that I am very fit and healthy... I cycle 100+km a week, run 2 or 3 times a week, and row 10km a couple of times a week... I’m not yet 50, have a resting heart rate in the mid 40s, low blood pressure, completely clear arteries, and an ‘elite’ level VO2 max (for those that know what that is...)

I am mildly asthmatic, but bizarrely that’s what kept me out of hospital, because I practice deep breathing exercises regularly.

So...please don’t get complacent. Don’t catch it. I know this Christmas is going to be a bit sh*t, but so what? Protect your families, and celebrate next year once you have all been vaccinated.

Yes, having 8.4 litres, 16 cylinders and 700+PS on the drive is a nice distraction...

...Excluding the wife’s car.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust