A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 11th September 2020, 03:17 PM

I finally got around to fitting my grommets today.
What an amazing, creative and elegant solution to a thorny problem.

Intriguingly, the pipe adjacent to both the old grommets had a depression surrounded by a bit of the coating as if it had been melted to fix it to the old grommets. I had to cut the surplus away to ensure a good fit.
Has anyone else seen this, might it have been done during manufacture or was it probably from an attempt by an owner before me to melt the damaged grommet back together?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th September 2020, 05:04 PM

Its part of the original manufacturing process - they're all like that. The original grommet was moulded on to the cable, and it appears heat was involved in the process somehow.
Old 11th September 2020, 06:12 PM

Thanks MJ, it did look a bit too "tidy" for an amateur job. And congratulations on a great little product.
Out of interest what's in that pipe/cable, I'm guessing the boot lid lights and possibly some wiring related to the locking mechanism? The other side just looks like the GPS aerial and central locking air/vacuum pipe.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th September 2020, 06:48 PM

Yes exactly that
Old 12th September 2020, 12:53 PM

Ahh if only such 3D printed wonders were available 2 years back when my boot was gently filling with water. I created my own solution using a self adhesive Teflon furniture slider, rotary tooled out a slot with angle chamfer for the pipe to sit in, cleaned the body, stuck it on and filled behind the pipe with black RTV to make it fully water tight. Not factory but surprisingly tidy, is still on and my boot isn’t a fish tank still, if it drops off at least I know options are now available!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 8th December 2020, 02:19 PM

Are these grommets still available? Ebay link does not work

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli
Old 8th December 2020, 05:28 PM

Current link here

I'll start a set printing now
Old 29th December 2020, 04:38 PM

I've just installed the second of three 'MJ Doctor' upgrades to my car, which are the aforementioned boot lid grommets:

[1] Brake block upgrade (installed)
[2] Boot lid grommets upgrade (both installed)
[3] Glovebox LED light upgrade (still to do)

I took some photos to show the before and after, and you can see that my previous fix using black Sugru lasted less than a year or two before coming away from the surface and breaking up. As mentioned by HPSauce, the smaller one on the boot lid itself appears to flex more than the larger grommet in the rear wing.

The whole process took less than five minutes. I shall clear up the grunt on the bodywork around the edge of the grommets when the weather clears up a bit. This upgrade will hopefully enable my boot to remain somewhat drier than it currently is, due to the constant ingress of rainwater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper_grommet_before.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	24960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower_grommet_before1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	24961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower_grommet_before2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	24962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper_grommet_after.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	24963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower_grommet_after1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	24964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower_grommet_after2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	24965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower_grommet_after3.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	24966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remants_mouldable_glue_Sugru_black.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	24967  
Old 25th January 2021, 12:51 PM

Ingress of water has reduced after the installation of the boot grommets but I think that I may be suffering from the lack of a good seal around the number plate surround. I'm pretty sure it will be due to that tiny speaker in my boot shaking everything apart.

That's another job for another day.
Old 25th January 2021, 02:38 PM

I was having water pouring out when opening the boot after heavy rain. It was coming in through cracked reverse lights so have also replaced them thanks to A8Parts.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)