A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 25th March 2021, 08:19 AM

Default Travelling Again

Morning All.
This one is not for the happiest of occasions. Another funeral. This time one of my Army friends that I've known since we were fifteen, 67 years ago.
Today I am driving to Chepstow via M6 and M5 to overnight.
Friday driving via M4 to Port Talbot for the service.

After the service driving home to Wigan via Bridgend, for a cuppa, and through the Brecons.
Just advance warning. If you think you see, me you have.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th March 2021, 10:09 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Safe journey Ray. But I live in Devon, so if I think I've seen you, you're lost!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 25th March 2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Safe journey Ray. But I live in Devon, so if I think I've seen you, you're lost!

Likewise if I see you Ray
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 25th March 2021, 03:04 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Safe trip, Ray. You’ll be lost if I see you, too!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 26th March 2021, 08:45 PM

Hi All.
I am back home safe.
I didn't do The Brecons on the way home. After some local advice about the Welsh Sheriffs being a bit keen on stopping cars for traversing the Border, I decided that they wouldn't want to stop me on the Motorway.
Discretion being the better part of valour, I went M4, M5 and M6 and did it in 3 hours, Bridgend to Wigan. Pretty good run especially on a Friday afternoon.
Weather at the crematorium was sunny with a little wind though it did rain a bit whilst we were in the Chapel.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 27th May 2021, 04:09 PM

Afternoon All,
What on earth has happened? I thought that I was retired.

We put the coaches back on the road last Monday but we were short a driver. Not having a short driver available the office decided to put up with me. I was ferryingg six people from Liverpool and Warrington to Leigh so they could catch a tour coach to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Only a two hour job but due to flooding closing a road it took three. Tour coach was running late so they caught it.
I went home for lunch but before I could take my jacket off phone rang, Office asking me to rescue them. A driver had not turned in so I landed up doing the Stoke Football Club security team job. 14:00 to 23:15. Sat at the ground thumb twiddling from 15:30 to 21:45, it's a boring job.
Thursday did an Ormskirk Market and Southport Excursion. Spent the afternoon at my daughter's in Southport.
Friday took some people to Llandudno for a weekend, brought them back on Monday this week.
Yesterday was a day excursion to Skipton.
Saturday I am doing a day excxursion to Whitby.
Fair warning, hide your cars.
I am also doing a five day Tenby tour starting 20th June.

Old 27th May 2021, 10:35 PM

Bloody Hell Ray. Your making up for time lost to lockdown or what. Must be a great being useful.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Bloody Hell Ray. Your making up for time lost to lockdown or what. Must be a great being useful.

What is good apart from enjoying the driving is the reception I am having from the passengers.
I know they are so happy at getting out and about again but they make it feel really personally to me doing my bit. I am only part of the team.
Watch out Dracula, I'll be after you tomorrow.

Old 29th June 2021, 07:58 AM

Short update on my shenanigans.
Last week I did a five day tour based in Tenby. Lovely holiday but those lanes are a bit narrow for my coach.
I was down for a few lazy weeks but life as ever happened, a driver called in sick and I have landed up doing his six day Llandudno tour. Only problem is this is a "Diner" tour. We feed and water them whilst travelling. The other driver uses his wife as a hostess and I had to find a helper overnight. Luckily a friend offered to help, never done it before but she's turned out magic.
Yesterday we did the Bets, Llanberis circular. Today I'm putting them on the Festiniog where they will be nurtured. So once we have them on the train we can relax and enjoy the ride.
Tomorrow is my rest day, Thursday Angelsea circular and Beaumaris.
Friday home for a lunchtime finish.

Old 29th June 2021, 08:21 AM

Ray you just love munching up those miles !

i do hope your bus is a soot chucker !