A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 17th May 2021, 10:08 AM

Talking of noisy, an RAF Airbus 400 just went over pretty low struggling up from Northolt, must be full of heavy stuff!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th May 2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Definitely that one, ZD981.
And it's just chugged past this evening, heading ENE, you can't not recognise the noise. Started at Blackbushe apparently.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th May 2021, 01:54 PM

We're obviously on some sort of regular "Chinook loop"
This one left Blackbushe, followed the Thames as far as Greenwich and the Dome, then looped back North of London and just passed low over us, presumably heading back there.
Drowned the noise of my lawnmower which is how I spotted it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZA684.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	26402  
Old 5th June 2021, 11:37 AM

Well that was bloody noisy! A USAF Globemaster climbing out of Northolt just went overhead at not much above 1000ft!

No idea where it's going, it skirted the Heathrow flight paths and is now pointing WSW near Henley staying down at about 9000ft.

I wonder if it was bringing stuff in for Biden at the G7? Not sure if St Mawgan (aka Newquay Airport) can handle a C-17, though it does have a very long runway....

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th June 2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 5th June 2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Well that was bloody noisy! A USAF Globemaster climbing out of Northolt just went overhead at not much above 1000ft!
And another one just now!
Old 5th June 2021, 07:10 PM

And not long after the two US Globemasters, an Italian Air Force Airbus A319...…
But Italy is in the G7, just don't need as much luggage.
Old 6th June 2021, 09:40 AM

Default Reaper

Just heard a rather loud one in the skies, and upon checking my Pi it revealed itself to be REAPER11, an F-15C of all things.

AE2817 : 86-0147 F15C c/n 993/C375 USAF flying southwest towards Dorking
It looks like it's based at RAF Lakenheath
Old 9th June 2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
It looks like it's based at RAF Lakenheath
Just up the road from Mildenhall, where Air Force One is sitting currently.
Heading off down to St Mawgan fairly soon, but will it show up online?
Old 9th June 2021, 08:15 PM

There's also GRIM99, a USAF 747-E4B approaching Cornwall: One of four Boeing E-4 Advanced Airborne Command Posts.
Also known as a "Night watch". Though as it's up at 33,000ft it's probably not landing there.

Just flown past us heading NE, a few miles away nearer Thiefrow but heard the engines, it's not quiet!
On its way down now, maybe also to Mildenhall?

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 9th June 2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Just up the road from Mildenhall, where Air Force One is sitting currently.
Heading off down to St Mawgan fairly soon, but will it show up online?
It sure did.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=adfdf8

And the Beeb had a little write up of plane spotters at Mildenhall. Although the locals near the base complain about the noise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-57400674

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,