A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th July 2021, 05:45 PM

and i thought the Glen Etive road was relatively unknown little gem - little did i know that it had featured in film
Heres some piccies from a few years back just after xmas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1841.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	26700   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1817.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	26701  
Old 15th July 2021, 12:20 PM

....although some will recognise that the first is of the stretch of road between Tyndrum and Orchy as you can see the West Highland line railway loop over 2 viaducts in the background...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1813.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	26712  
Old 16th July 2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
....although some will recognise that the first is of the stretch of road between Tyndrum and Orchy as you can see the West Highland line railway loop over 2 viaducts in the background...
I was wondering if that arch was the same one seen in the Harry Potter films (it's not) so Googled Mapped it yesterday. This is what I found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ViaductGoogleMaps.png
Views:	114
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	26716  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 16th July 2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I was wondering if that arch was the same one seen in the Harry Potter films (it's not) so Googled Mapped it yesterday. This is what I found.
That's the Glenfinnan viaduct which is just west of Fort William (both already on the list to visit )

We've added Tyndrum to the stopover list as well now for the drive back down. I presume it's midge season at the moment??
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 16th July 2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
That's the Glenfinnan viaduct which is just west of Fort William (both already on the list to visit )

We've added Tyndrum to the stopover list as well now for the drive back down. I presume it's midge season at the moment??
Its a pity that it takes a children's film to highlight engineering marvels of victorian railway builders but, hey ho! The railway loop at Kinglas with the 2 viaducts is equally stunning but not so noticeable to passers by.
And, yes, its midge season! One of the best midge deterrrent's that I and many others find effective is Avon Skin So Soft. Does wonders for your skin too and being alcohol based removes paint and tar spots as well
Old 16th July 2021, 08:41 PM

Concrete Bob!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th July 2021, 02:57 PM

Well it was a successful trip with perfect weather for the entirety. From Edinburgh we drove up the east coast to Aviemore for a walk around and some impromptu trainspotting as the Royal Scotsman service pulled in and the Strathspey steam train departed, then it was a drive up to John o'Groats. It was then a short drive further west to the most northerly point of the mainland, Dunnet Head, where the sun was setting. From the overnight stop in Thurso we drove further west to Durness in the morning then meandered down to a surprisingly busy Ullapool for a pub lunch, the roads littered with motorhomes and touring motorcycles.

Southeast to Loch Ness and Urquart Castle was the next stop, then to that evening's stop of Fort William next to Ben Nevis. Glenfinnan Viaduct and Loch Shiel was first in the morning for yet more unplanned trainspotting as the Jacobite steam train passed through at 10:30am. After a walk around the viaduct we travelled along the A861 (a single-width but very quiet road with fantastic scenery) to the Corran ferry at the top of Loch Linnhe for a short crossing over to join the A82. An unmarked road on the right a few miles past Glencoe takes you 12 miles down a single-width road to Loch Etive, as shown in Sean's Youtube video above where he drives back up to the A82. Halfway down this road is the aforementioned shot location of Skyfall and, rather poetically, the Glen Etive estate was owned by Ian Flemming's family before Scottish Heritage took ownership of it and a few campers were dotted around, taking advantage of the unspoilt land. The water was glassy calm and there was silence in the valley (panorama picture below) until a Typhoon blasted through heading southwest at probably a good 350-400 knots which was a treat for all the senses. We could have basked in the sun all afternoon but finally got to the overnight stop at Tyndrum, site of 2014 annual meet.

A good Scottish breakfast was enjoyed at The Real Food Cafe before the final leg to York for a walk around the the Shambles and dinner in the centre. The next morning saw a visit to the Railway Museum before an unhurried drive back home to Essex.

I'll certainly be doing the journey again. We didn't set out to do the NC500 but one naturally drives most of the NC500 by driving these roads anyway.

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 27th July 2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 27th July 2021, 07:59 PM

Looks like a great trip Olly. Giving me ideas now, thanks for sharing and the pictures.