A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 31st July 2021, 09:53 AM

Default Every day is a school day...

"percussive maintenance" - the thing you do to cars when WD40 doesn't work

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 31st July 2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
"percussive maintenance" - the thing you do to cars when WD40 doesn't work
To me, the phrase “percussive maintenance” encompasses a whole spectrum of violence from a gentle persuading tickle to walloping the crap out something. This must be why the extended hammer family in my garage is 17 strong….

Pleased to see that I’m not the only one that thinks that reclaiming perfectly good parts from an otherwise useless assembly is a reasonable thing to do….

Nick
Old 31st July 2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Five original Avus 1 wheels with centre caps These were actually the reason I bought the car since they are so rare. Even if the car turned out to be a lemon, it was worth buying just for the wheels. These are in for refurb while its on the lift

What is the part number to these Avus wheels?

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 31st July 2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Question for those more knowledgeable than me on the PF: is the inlet manifold different between A8 (AEW / ABZ) and S8 (AHC)?
Back in the Audi world after a 2-week absence..... and so nostalgic to see a high-spec late PF S8.

As for the inlet manifold, I may be wrong but I though the PF had the 2-stage flaps whereas the PF A8s only had one flap and a simpler flow. Though I also recall from ages ago reading something that said that actually on an S8 both flaps move at the same time anyway, so there was no "intermediate" flow.
(Subject to derision and destruction by someone like IT......)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 31st July 2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
I don't know as they're not back from refurb yet. I'll check next week when they're back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
As for the inlet manifold, I may be wrong but I though the PF had the 2-stage flaps whereas the PF A8s only had one flap and a simpler flow. Though I also recall from ages ago reading something that said that actually on an S8 both flaps move at the same time anyway, so there was no "intermediate" flow.
(Subject to derision and destruction by someone like IT......)
FL manifolds have flaps - the S8 has a single actuation point which opens both sides at once. The A8 has two stages, but I've never looked in one to see how they are actuated.

All the PF manifolds I have here have a rotating centre section which opens and closes different paths in the manifold. Whether the S8 version is different, I don't know - there is nothing visually different between them. That may mean I have a bunch of A8 manifolds of course.
Old 31st July 2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Part number here, from when I sold a set ages ago (2015), 4D0 601 025N http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9858
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 31st July 2021, 09:00 PM

Removed the inlet manifold

The engine in the maximum taken-apart-ness

Flipped over with the sump removed - fairly clean inside

Opened up the first expensive box of bits. There are several boxes!

Hurrah for having an actual sump gasket instead of silicone! I still used some blue Hylomar to help it though

Sump back on. This was in remarkably good condition compared to the recent FLs which have all needed blasting and powdercoating.

This is one of my favourite bits of the AHC. We need more valve lift to get more airflow, so just mill pockets out of the heads so the massive cams can fit!

Cam covers back on with fresh gaskets

Thats it for tonight. Inlet and front gubbins back on tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	26837   Click image for larger version

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	26838   Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	26839   Click image for larger version

Name:	069.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	26840   Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	26841   Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	26842   Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	26843   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	26844   Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	26845   Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	26846  

Name:	076.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	26847   Click image for larger version

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	26848  
Old 1st August 2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
When the gearbox was done the cam position sensor was refitted with the cable sitting on the exhaust manifold instead of behind the heat shield! How it was still running is a mystery.

Surprised there wasn't a bottle of the attached in the glove box with the car
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	530433.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	26849  

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 2nd August 2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:

The engine in the maximum taken-apart-ness

No timing chain tensioners? less to go wrong as opposed to the 40V?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:14 PM

No chain tensioners, no secondary air, no secondary O2s. Nice and simple and mostly bulletproof. It was a pretty expensive engine to make with lots of complicated castings and machining, and some very silly decisions about how to seal up the camshafts which is why it leaks so badly. They made the 40V much cheaper to build, and slighly better at containing its oil, but then burdened it with so much emissions crap that I bet it ended up costing more

Sunday's update:

The PF subframe doesn't have the lower braces that the FL does, but we can fix that while its in bits and sandblasted. Marked out the bolt locations and drilled some holes

Welded some M10 nuts in place

Pretty colours before painting, and nice even weld penetration

Painted. Dealing with this took most of the day which is why I hate doing subframes

I realised something looking at the engine - someone definitely designed this thing to be turbocharged! There is an oil port blanked off on each head which would have been for the oil feed, and a boss in the block on each side for the drain.

The feed

Drain port on the right

and on the left. These would have been drilled and tapped for banjo fittings. I'm not sure whether the ABZ has this as well - I've never looked at one in this much detail.

Aluminium oil cooler pipe

Mann oil filter which comes with all the seals

Oil cooler back on.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	26860   Click image for larger version

Name:	079.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	63.7 KB