A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th November 2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfinsheepsclothes View Post
I wasn't even aware of the master cylinder flex problem.
Dave
Nor me!

I've watched some of the commercial scale 3D printers that wiggle/chain reaction cycles use for prototyping new parts.
Their machine could knock out the fog light grilles in a couple of hours

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 4th November 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Just discovered that contrary to expectation, my mk2 doesn't clear the plastic trim so more fiddling needed there.
Thought it looked like a tight fit, hence the question....

Given the way it fits round the strut brace and the primary direction of force the top appears largely superfluous so could be reduced?
Maybe even become a clip-on item again?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th November 2018, 04:28 AM

When you've sorted the prototyping of the master cylinder wedge, I'll take two in carbon filament please MJ!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 18th November 2018, 07:36 PM

I've been making parts for the manual swap so I thought I'd show how to go from concept to physical part.

The original footrest has to change to make room for the clutch pedal, and rather than mucking around with the original I thought I'd just print a new one.

I started by tracing the outline of one edge of the original footrest on to a piece of A4, and then scanned it in as a tiff image:

Next, I used an online service to convert the tiff image from a bitmap to a DXF vector drawing. This is effectively a point cloud so not that useful yet.

I made the DXF in to a background layer in Autocad and then drew the shape over the top of it. This time its a nice CAD drawing using lines and arcs.

I imported the drawing in to Fusion360 and extruded it. Now we're getting somewhere

After a few hours of measuring the original and making some changes as I went along I got to this

Added the final detail and the 3D model is done

This would actually fit on my printer in one piece, but because of the angles it would need a lot of support structure. That takes a long time to print, and also adds a lot of risk as the support is very weak and its easy for the print head to knock it over resulting in a failed print. To avoid that, I cut it in half

Loaded the first half in to Cura for slicing. 20 hours to print...

First print done

Second print done

Glued together and next to the original

Installed. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I'll make some changes to the next one to speed up printing and improve strength.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest1.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	20457   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest2.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	20458   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest3.JPG
Views:	658
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	20459   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest4.JPG
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	20460   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest5.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	20461   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest6.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	20462   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest7.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	20463   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest8.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	20464   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest9.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	20465   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest10.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	20466  

Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest11.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	20467   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest12.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	20468   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest13.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	20469   Click image for larger version

Name:	footrest14.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	20470  
Old 18th November 2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I imported the drawing in to Fusion360 and extruded it. Now we're getting somewhere

After a few hours of measuring the original and making some changes as I went along I got to this

You make it all sound so easy. I'm amazed at how you got from that first sketch to the extruded and 'some changes' later version.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th November 2018, 09:16 PM

It was about four hours from the extrusion to the first model, then another hour to add the final detail and cut it in half.
Old 18th November 2018, 09:35 PM

I didn't understand a word of that! are you sure it is english? and I've spent a couple of hours on sketchup, and Tinkered and watched hours of tutorials on youtube trying to get myself unto speed to buy a printer.
great work as usual MJ.
Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 18th November 2018, 09:40 PM

It is English . . .well sort of geek.
I have purchased the same model as MJ and it is a cracking bit of gear and so much cheaper than these things were a few years back.
I'm OK on the theory but I am lucky in that my 36 year old son is also dead keen. He is playing on Autocad at the moment designing something for my model tramway. Just hoping that it all comes together.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 19th November 2018, 10:34 AM

I still don’t understand but I like it! good job you put plenty of pictures up! You went from a curve extruded too a masterpiece! Amazing I’ve done the tutorials and and that was fine so I went onto drawing what I wanted to make and nothing I had learnt applied to what I wanted to draw with double curvatures.
Respect!
Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 26th November 2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
It was about four hours from the extrusion to the first model, then another hour to add the final detail and cut it in half.
Depending on what version of AutoCad you're using you can import PDF's straight in and scale them to suit

Bright yellow bus o love.