A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 7th April 2021, 08:29 PM

Wow! You're brave. And I predict this will be the longest WITW thread. Ever.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 7th April 2021, 08:31 PM

Seeing all that makes me wonder (again) what eventually happened to the Avus Silver FE with RED interior (and 39-valve engine) that you picked up from near me?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th April 2021, 08:44 PM

That’s an impressive list!

Your work is cut out got this one. Good work saving an FE

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 7th April 2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Seeing all that makes me wonder (again) what eventually happened to the Avus Silver FE with RED interior (and 39-valve engine) that you picked up from near me?
I still have the shell, out the back of the workshop. That's what will be donating avus body panels to save this one as the paint on the body is ruined, but the bolt-on bits are still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin
I predict this will be the longest WITW thread. Ever.
Well, I didn't scrap the murple in the end, and that is still the worst D2 of all time. It might be a contest between the two of them!
Old 8th April 2021, 08:32 AM

Thumbs up

Mudflaps are on the list twice. You must really dislike them

I love mine.....

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 8th April 2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post

I love mine.....

Zip
I totally hadn't noticed that! I guess I must have put it on the list for the front and then again when I got to the back

I really hate them! They are so ugly I'd rather just wash the dirt off than have to look at them. Plus, these are hanging off anyway. The problem though is that removing them leaves screw holes in the trim to which they are attached. I may just have to refit them properly and try not to look at them.
Old 8th April 2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post

I love mine.....

Zip
I was worried it was just me, my QS had mudflaps, anything that helps prevents crap getting kicked up on to the paintwork is a good thing in my eyes

Maybe it's because they also trap muck around them?

I worked out how to embed pictures, now I just need to work out how to make them smaller

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	26108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	26109  
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 8th April 2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 8th April 2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I still have the shell, out the back of the workshop. That's what will be donating avus body panels to save this one as the paint on the body is ruined, but the bolt-on bits are still ok.
Ooops, sorry, missed this comment in your admittedly comprehensive description!
Quote:
I have avus body parts from my dead one (which is in an even worse state than this one as it doesn't have an engine or gearbox), so that one will be fully dismantled now to save this one
As for mudflaps…
Quote:
:I really hate them! They are so ugly I'd rather just wash the dirt off than have to look at them.
I recall "back in the day" when I got my first S8 (nearly 20 years ago!) I discovered mudflaps were an option and thought - might be a useful protection.
Then I saw some pictures of them on the superbly elegant PF D2 - wrong, just wrong, horribly wrong......
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th April 2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 9th April 2021, 09:28 PM

Started tinkering. I'd like to get it driveable without spraying oil everywhere and without sounding like the suspension is going to fall off, so that I can at least move it around.

One of the ARB link bolts was loose which won't have helped with the rattly suspension at all

For some reason most of the broken things are on the front left corner so I'll start here

I pulled the power steering pressure hose to get that repaired properly. The rod end came loose from the tie rod with a little persuasion

Unfortunately the tie rod is totally stuck in the upright, but that doesn't matter since its getting changed anyway

Cut the rod end in half with the angle grinder so I can get the upright off the car

The CV boot is toast

The suspension turret brace is cracked at the top so fell off as soon as I removed the lower bolt

The rest of it is still in the top plate. I have spares of these so no matter.

Both front disc back plates have their front edges worn off which is a bit odd

The top rear arm has been completely ruined by spraying PS fluid, which is a shame as it was ok before that - the other side is fine.

Pulled the whole suspension assembly off in one lump - I'll take most of it apart here then pull the top arms in the vice

Messy in here but much easier to clean up with nothing in the way!

The pinch bolt just came out! That was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting quite a fight.

Parts which need repair or replacement just on this corner:

CV boot (split)
Steering rack boot (torn by whoever did the PS hose)
Upper rear arm (ruined by PS fluid)
Lower rear arm (ruined by PS fluid)
Wheel bearing (grumbling)
Headlight level arm (held on with a cable tie)
Arch liner (work through by the tyre)
Turret brace (snapped)
Wing (bashed and broken)

Bumper bracket (cracked when the wing was damaged)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	26110   Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	26111   Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	26112   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	26113   Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	26114   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	26115   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	26116   Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	26117   Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	26118   Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	26119  

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	26120   Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	26121   Click image for larger version

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	26122  
Old 10th April 2021, 08:37 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

So good to have my morning reading back! ����
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).