A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th April 2019, 02:59 PM

Default HELP!! Rear spring question

Afternoon All
I have a 2002 2.8 Quattro Sport. Offside rear spring has broke. There are no colour codes on either rear springs so I am assuming they are aftermarket. However the front springs are three green and one white. Would the code be the same for the rear springs?. Also where can I get replacements, been in touch with Audi and if they have them they're £200 each!!.
Looking to get the car MOT'd and sold as it is just sitting in my drive, lovely motor just not what I need.
Many thanks.
Old 13th April 2019, 09:44 PM

The front code doesn't have any noticeable relationship with the rears as there are dozens of variations based on specification. I highly doubt Audi can get new rear springs for it since most genuine D2 parts are obsolete now, but there are plenty of options for aftermarket. A quick look on ebay shows listings for KYB, Suplex, QH and unbranded for <£100 a pair. I would suggest you replace both rears since they tend to sag with age so one new one will likely leave the car sitting unevenly and give some odd handling characteristics.
Old 13th April 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The front code doesn't have any noticeable relationship with the rears as there are dozens of variations based on specification. I highly doubt Audi can get new rear springs for it since most genuine D2 parts are obsolete now, but there are plenty of options for aftermarket. A quick look on ebay shows listings for KYB, Suplex, QH and unbranded for <£100 a pair. I would suggest you replace both rears since they tend to sag with age so one new one will likely leave the car sitting unevenly and give some odd handling characteristics.
I have not looked into it for a while but when I did couple of years ago pretty much all aftermarket where either A8 non sport meaning 2cm higher than Sport/S8 or 40mm lowering springs which means 2cm lower than Sport/S8.

Same for A6 C5 Sport quattro, plenty available for standard non quattro, some for quattro standard but almost nothing for Sport & quattro, went with aftermarket adjustable coilovers in the end.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 13th April 2019, 11:12 PM

I was wondering about that actually, since none of the listings mention sport models. In that case, the only option is used, which is vexing since they are pretty hard to find.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:51 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Those Eibach springs I bought from you, MJ, were perfect. There's pretty much no discernable difference in ride height. Not sure if they were S8 springs or A8 lowering springs but I'd certainly recommend Eibach as a good alternative.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th April 2019, 11:09 AM

They are A8, which again lower from non-sport models, so end up in roughly the same place as a stock S8, give or take 5mm.

They might be a bit strong for a 2.8 though. Not sure if Eibach do a specific model for the 2.8.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:12 PM

Isn't V6 about the same weight as the V8 because V6 is cast iron and V8 is aluminium? From what I heard 2.7TT is heavier than 4.2 if take into account turbos and intercooler. And it should not make much difference to rear axle anyway.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 14th April 2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:28 PM

The V6 is 30Kg lighter iirc, and also the 5HP19 gearbox is a fair bit lighter than the 5HP24 too. I used 2.8 springs on the manual swap as the V8 Eibachs (which Mark now has) made it sit far too high. The 2.8 springs worked quite well.

The rear is probably much the same though yes, but an Eibach kit is a bit spendy for something you're about to sell.

That said, there are lowering springs for around £150 which is not terrible.
Old 11th May 2019, 03:46 PM

Afternoon All. Found a pair of Sport Eibach springs on the Autodoc website. £130 for the pair delivered. Will be attempting the swap on Wednesday, are there any "how to" guides that are recommended?.
Cheers.
Old 11th May 2019, 05:51 PM

Get one of these spring compressors:

They are the only sort I've found that can reach in and grab the D2 spring. The long bolt type won't clear the lower control arm.

Its pretty simple with one of these - just put the claws round the spring and wind it down. Pull the spring out from the base and it will drop off the upper platform. Do the broken one first. Refitting is reversal of removal. Its useful to have a friend with a very long bar to lever the suspension down while removing and refitting the spring as the rubber suspension bushes will try and pull the suspension back up to normal height once you take the tension off the spring.

Tags
rear spring