A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 5th January 2017, 11:47 AM

ha ha ha, I have looked at those before for the track car. Always worried me that someone would drive off with it, car included, unless I got posts, but then I would need a bigger drive, which would mean moving, which would mean a bigger house, which would mean...
Old 5th January 2017, 11:50 AM

Space and funds permitting, what about having an old 'banger', an A3 or A4 Avant, for doing the airport and shopping runs? It won't eliminate the parking issues 100% of the time, but might ease the worry somewhat for those particular ones.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 5th January 2017, 11:53 AM

That's what our old Ford Focus was used for, among many other somewhat damage-prone activities.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th January 2017, 11:56 AM

I used to have 3 cars - my S8, the TT and my restored Audi Cabriolet, she has a 500, it was all fine when my neighbour opposite let me park on his drive for the 10 months of the year he was living in Thailand, but now thats not happening anymore and he is back, I had to sell the Cabriolet, so space is a major issue.

Lots more thinking to do, I need to either man up and accept that if it gets dinked its going to be insurance/out of pocket or suck it up and sell.

The thought of her getting damaged again does my head in, I stress about it all the time, and add that onto the stresses of getting a major bill at some point for some random electronic failure somewhere, or a gearbox/engine issue (my mates AMG 63 had a new ESP unit at £1200 + Fitting) just scares the crap out of me.

I understand you can't run a car without expense, I just don't want the expense other idiots on the road have given me so far, running the car isn't a problem, actually, its been cheaper and more reliable than either of my S4s and certainly more than my restoration Cabriolet
Old 5th January 2017, 03:11 PM

Very tidy car that one...i would be scared to leave it on car parks , having a really tidy car can be a hinderance more than a help , you dont want to leave it anywhere as a lot of folk just have no consideration for other peoples property ....see it all the time on car parks ....old bin pulls up at the side of a nice car ...kids flinging the doors open against the nice car .... the kids dont care and neither do the parents .

good luck with which ever way you go with it
Old 6th January 2017, 03:30 PM

Been doing a lot of talking with friends and family - particularly my brother who is also a petrol head - I've come to the conclusion that nothing last forever and you have to enjoy things while you have them.

Put some things into perspective, and its only worth stressing about things that happen, not what ifs

Car is no longer for sale
Old 6th January 2017, 03:57 PM

I think you made the right decision. I was going to PM you with this suggestion and thinking but you already reached the right conclusion...

For the same price; your smaller alternative would probably not give you the same driver experience or smile. There are better cars out there, sure, but probably not for the same money.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 6th January 2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
...its only worth stressing about things that happen, not what ifs..
Couldn't have put it better myself... good decision to keep after some really bad luck. I hope your continued ownership is hassle free and enjoyable !!
Old 6th January 2017, 04:18 PM

That's a good way to look at it, why the actions of a few other people/idiots stop you having what you want and enjoy. I hope your luck turns around, fitting cameras might would help with peace of mind and catch anyone being stupid.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 6th January 2017, 05:23 PM

Very pleased to hear that Lee. Get a decent dash cam install for some peace of mind (mine goes in tomorrow) and just enjoy what is truly a fantastic machine.

2016 S3 Sportback