A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 17th December 2017, 01:01 PM

"Forks all the way down" I shall be watching a few more of his videos

By way of a personal update, my Vega rig has been running flawlessly for a week It took some doing, but its happily doing 3.7KH/s on the Vegas and 62H/s on the i3 CPU and makes about 10 ETN an hour.

I think the majority of the stability issues were caused by three things:

1, trying to use the Vega as primary GPU - they do not like being in PCIe2 for some reason. I'm using the iGPU now with HDMI emulators in the Vegas and they are fine with no loss of hash rate after 3-4 days. The cards are in PCIe1 and PCIe3.

2, temperatures with the default fan algorithm are far too high. The GPU cores were running at 75* with the memory much hotter I think. Turning the base fan speed up to 2500rpm from 400 has them running at 55* core temp @ 2800rpm.

3, overclocking too far. These two cards will not run at the figures suggested by Gandalph3000 - they just hang at random. They're running well at -20% GPU freq, 935MHz ram, -20% power cap with the rig at 400W total (80W at idle). Curiously, with the same settings one card is consistently 50-100H/s faster than the other - one at 1850H/s and one usually over 1900. Trying to push them to 2000 each just makes them crash.

Also, I'm using XMR-Stak instead of Cast-XMR. Cast shows 100H/s higher on-screen than Stak, but Stak reports much higher rates on the pool than Cast and finds more shares somehow. Cast runs just under 10ETN an hour, Stak is just over 10.

They did Monero for a few days on MiningPoolHub too, and were making about £7 a day after electricity which is not bad - thats 4 months ROI at full price. I'm going to collect a decent stash of ETN in December and then will probably follow you guys over to MRR

It sits in the 'redundant since I got a combi-boiler' airing cupboard making nice warm air on the landing I might pipe it some cold air from the loft, and possibly add sound-deadening foam to the inside of the cupboard!

Btw, Scan are taking pre-orders for the next batch of Vegas including the Red Devil, albeit at rather more than they were before: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miningrig.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	17635  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 17th December 2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 17th December 2017, 04:32 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice work

Glad to hear you've made good progress and finally got a good stable rig!
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 17th December 2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

By way of a personal update, my Vega rig has been running flawlessly for a week It took some doing, but its happily doing 3.7KH/s on the Vegas and 62H/s on the i3 CPU and makes about 10 ETN an hour.

1, trying to use the Vega as primary GPU - they do not like being in PCIe2 for some reason. I'm using the iGPU now with HDMI emulators in the Vegas and they are fine with no loss of hash rate after 3-4 days. The cards are in PCIe1 and PCIe3.

2, temperatures with the default fan algorithm are far too high. The GPU cores were running at 75* with the memory much hotter I think. Turning the base fan speed up to 2500rpm from 400 has them running at 55* core temp @ 2800rpm.

3, overclocking too far. These two cards will not run at the figures suggested by Gandalph3000 - they just hang at random. They're running well at -20% GPU freq, 935MHz ram, -20% power cap with the rig at 400W total (80W at idle). Curiously, with the same settings one card is consistently 50-100H/s faster than the other - one at 1850H/s and one usually over 1900. Trying to push them to 2000 each just makes them crash.

Also, I'm using XMR-Stak instead of Cast-XMR. Cast shows 100H/s higher on-screen than Stak, but Stak reports much higher rates on the pool than Cast and finds more shares somehow. Cast runs just under 10ETN an hour, Stak is just over 10.

They did Monero for a few days on MiningPoolHub too, and were making about £7 a day after electricity which is not bad - thats 4 months ROI at full price. I'm going to collect a decent stash of ETN in December and then will probably follow you guys over to MRR

It sits in the 'redundant since I got a combi-boiler' airing cupboard making nice warm air on the landing I might pipe it some cold air from the loft, and possibly add sound-deadening foam to the inside of the cupboard!

Btw, Scan are taking pre-orders for the next batch of Vegas including the Red Devil, albeit at rather more than they were before: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards
Good work with the rig, I like the idea of you using it to heat the house, getting heat from it makes it more profitable I guess.

Which pool are you mining the ETN at, I was using the eu pool but after the online wallets opened I changed to the wallet address and i didn't get paid for the hashes submitted.

I contacted them but have yet to get a reply.

Old 17th December 2017, 08:05 PM

Mmm I put 105M hashes in to the official EU pool and didn't get a damn thing. I'm on pool.electroneum.space now instead - only 0.1% pool fee and a much more useful site in general
Old 17th December 2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Mmm I put 105M hashes in to the official EU pool and didn't get a damn thing. I'm on pool.electroneum.space now instead - only 0.1% pool fee and a much more useful site in general

Interesting. I'll give them a try.

This was my last try with eu pool

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleeced.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	17636  

Old 17th December 2017, 10:36 PM

I'm about ~80-100 ETN a day at Suprnova ~1600h/s on 4 x gtx970's
got a little over 1000 built up now. Price has plumeted so i'm almost tempted to buy some as well. Maybe drop some BTC on some from my S7's. I'm getting about 0.01BTC a week from my 8Th/s on slushpool which isn't bad....though just pointed my 3.1Th/s at Digibyte as with the price hike and reasonable haul of coins it comes out better on what to mine so thought i'd have a play....

I like having a stash of coins in a lot of currencies that are cheap but have a decent market on coincap 50-100 in as many as i can get.

Heard talk of BTC going up to 100k but even if it does 0.? whilst earning nice on the S7's and S9 due next month, i feel the big gains are to be had in some smaller currency taking off on the bitcoin craze and it makes a nice spread!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 17th December 2017, 11:00 PM

I find all the guessing and speculation fascinating, i bought BTC a week or so ago then it took a big jump, on the fall I moved some of it to LTC and it went up.

So I moved the gains into BCH and bought a L3+

Hopefully by the time it arrives in March it will still be somewhat profitable. If I cant make it pay on shore though I'll take it offshore and have the boat provide the electric.

I really do think that crypto currencies have a future, what will be the best only time will tell but I do think they are here to stay.

Old 18th December 2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I have also noticed that pool reports about 10% less than Cast XMR. I did try XMR Stak but was only getting about half of Cast hashrate on Vega and 80% on other RX cards. I guess there are different versions of of Stak, which one did you use and can you point to some directions how to better optimise it.

Most of the time 2 of my rigs are rented out on MRR and only mining ETN when not rented out with only 1 RX580 card on my Microserver mining ETN most of the time but sometimes it gets pointed to MRR to boost the hashrate of one of the other 2 rigs if they are falling behind.

I am mining ETN on https://electromine.fr/#!/app/home, it's hard to judge how much I am earning as it is PPLNS pool so it goes up and down a lot depending on pool luck and also on how much hashing power I am putting in depending whether my rigs are rented out or not. If I go to extremes I have had 192 ETN in 2 hours and I have also had over 24 hours with nothing at all.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th December 2017, 01:27 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Bitcoin just started trading on the world’s biggest exchange — here's why that matters
Link: http://business.financialpost.com/in...debuts-futures
Quote:
The world’s biggest exchange just joined the bitcoin revolution.

Bitcoin futures started trading Sunday night at CME Group Inc.’s venue, a week after Chicago rival Cboe Global Markets Inc. introduced similar derivatives on the volatile cryptocurrency. CME is a much bigger player in futures, so many traders expected it to make a bigger splash in the nascent space.

Overstock is turning into a bitcoin tech company
Link: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/18/news...rne/index.html
Quote:
The company is one of the first retailers to accept bitcoin and will make the coin offering through its exchange, tZero. Its stock has tracked closely to bitcoin's wild rise -- Overstock's stock rose 4-fold between July and December as bitcoin grew more than 7-fold.

eBay considers adding bitcoin as a form of payment
Link: http://www.forexnewsnow.com/forex-an...-form-payment/
Quote:
Even though the adoption of bitcoin has still not been widespread, it has been rising fast in the past year. Several major retail stores across the world such as Subway now accept bitcoin as a form of payment. Now eBay are also considering doing the same, and given the company’s status as a major ecommerce company, the news could be huge for bitcoin.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th December 2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I have also noticed that pool reports about 10% less than Cast XMR. I did try XMR Stak but was only getting about half of Cast hashrate on Vega and 80% on other RX cards. I guess there are different versions of of Stak, which one did you use and can you point to some directions how to better optimise it.
This is the one I used: https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMinin...initive_guide/

One of several 'definitive' guides which are all different This one links to xmr-stak-amd which is actually an older retired version, but its working well on my cards. The current version is a unified one which does CPU, AMD and Nvidia in one release, but it only gets half the hash rate on my CPU compared to Claymore CPU so I haven't tried it yet.

There's another definitive guide here too: http://vega.miningguides.com/#Script Interestingly this one says that AMD Wattman is the root of all evil, but I keep it open in the background to monitor temperatures

I did wonder if eupool.electroneum.com was using PPLNS since it didn't pay anything for a while, but it's never paid at all so I surmise its broken.