A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 1st November 2009, 10:53 AM

Default Retro fit xenon

Hello experts,

Does anyone have any info/suggestions for retro-fitting some HID lights to a 2006 model. It has std bulbs and and no "peering into the corners" option.

Legal issues aside (car is self leveling, but I know there are other problems), has anyone had any success with this? When I looked into buying the car I was surprised they're not a std option. My Dads 2000 Vauxhall Omega has got them!

Anyway, any thoughts about whether it's a good idea or not, or how to go about it would be welcome. T'internet has kits, but all are American.

Absolutey do not want to "chav" my car up, but as it's also a factory option I wonder if there's suitable after-market?

Thanks in advance,

CBA

Last edited by CBA_caption; 1st November 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12th November 2009, 05:47 PM

Hi, if you don't want to chav it up go for 4.3k which are factory however 6k still look good. The cheap HID kits from China/Hong Kong work well in my experience and are very easy to install. Also suprised D3s dont get them as standard. My 2001 S8 has them from factory.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 12th November 2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into those. Think the S8 has all bells and whistles, mines an SE and it's not included. Mine's got a few extra, including the internal lighting pack (but not the external it would seem!). However, the coolest bit is the keyless entry/go which I now couldn't live without.

CBA
Old 25th April 2010, 10:18 AM

Gents,

I've got a sidelight bulb gone west in a front light on my Facelift '08. How do I get at it to change it out?

It looks like a real awkward job. Headlamp out or remove lots of other bits and pieces?

Stew,
Old 25th April 2010, 10:30 AM

Stew,

I've not done it yet (nor have I got round to a xenon conversion!), but IIRC bulb changes require taking the wheel off, removing the front half of the wheel arch interior and attacking the lighting cluster from that direction.

I haven't had the need yet, but when I do I will definitely be taking the opportunity to replace all the bulbs!

Daft idea. Thank you, Audi.

CBA
Old 25th April 2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for your reply. Does seem a bit OTT just to stick in a 50 pence bulb!

I might have a look at that next week and Report my findings.

Stew,
Old 25th April 2010, 11:28 AM

Can you not claim on warranty seeing as its an 08?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 25th April 2010, 02:04 PM

According to ELSAWin..

For the right side, take the air cleaner housing out. For the left, take the power steering reservoir out - Audi reckon you need to take the fluid out the system too!!! I'd see if I could just get access with it loosened.

I know.. I know..

Old 26th April 2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Can you not claim on warranty seeing as its an 08?
I was going to change the bulbs to the nice little blue ones I got as a freebie with my Xenon Kit I put on my D2.

I'd think a bulb is a consumable item and not on warranty but I'll phone them anyway.

A fair bit of dissassembly for a piddly little bulb - I need to get ElsaWin for the D3 - Eblag I suppose.

Thanks chaps,

Stew,
Old 28th April 2010, 10:05 AM

I must have super bendy/breakable hands then-I don't need to remove anything on my n/s to access bulbs/xenons??? I do however have to take the Airbox out for the o/s Not mastered that side yet.

This aside it doesn't mean I can actually see what I am doing....I trust touch for that part haha

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.