A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th August 2009, 09:15 PM

Default Bored without car

Bieng board and without cur (It's at Ben's Audi hosspital, AV Performance) I have been having a think and having thinked Ive decyded to no longer cofuze you and embarass miyself with mi awfull spelli9ng.
I have therefore now installed a Firefox (browser of choice with the congenialci) spellchecker.
Ive done it and it works, see, and its grayte and my words will hencefowth be of perfect spellink as befits you all. Thank you for reeding this.
Old 11th August 2009, 06:21 AM
entwisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I have therefore now installed a Firefox (browser of choice with the congenialci) spellchecker.

Ah, now you see its not THE browser of choice, in my opinion Opera beats it hands down.....

little things like

cross platform ( windows, linux, symbian, apple etc)
sync'd bookmarks and history across all computers I use
voice feature to read out techie books/pages whilst I'm doing other stuff
thumbnail tabs that I have on permanently
decent built in RSS client
easy to set and site level preferences
auto reload feature

the above are a few odf the built in bits that make my internet life so easy, some can be done by using add ins to firefox but with Opera it all just 'works'

Old 11th August 2009, 10:39 PM

I take it your an Opera buff then Ian. I'm quite partial to Puccini or a spot of Verdi myself.
Old 12th August 2009, 07:14 AM

Never seen an RSS-Client in f.e. Aida (which is actually from Verdi).
What kinda role must that be?

Audi S8 manual, 1996 <- much fun
Kawasaki ZX9-R 2001 <- much more fun
always remember:ficken!
Old 12th August 2009, 09:36 PM

I like that Chris.
There is something operatic about these 8's. The sound, the glory, the thrill and spectacle.... Then at the end the bleeding thing goes and dies on you.
Well mine has.
This opera started with a low rumble falling to a stutter, ending with a quiet cough.
The plot is something to do with wetness on the fuel relay causing burn out of the fuel pump.
Enter the astonishing beauty of replacement pump, performed with customary style by A8parts.
The chorus swells, the bass builds there's a hint of glorious 8 pot roar in the air, but it falters.
Noooooo the RAC man's libretto of easy start east go into the air intake has fried the brand spanking new Air mass sensor that Ben fitted only the week before last.
Doom and gloom doom and gloom, and a little tension. Will Ben be able to source and fit another new MAFS, before I (the stricken hero) leave on Saturday for a week in the west country. Pleeeese Ben, not the Scooby!
Old 13th August 2009, 10:44 PM

Tis home and once more working beautifully. Thank you Ben, you're a true maestro. For the literal minded, not the car. Although they to were astonishing, in a somewhat different kind of way.
Had a little play with Vag (ner) Com tonight. This for me is a humbling experience. Sitting there in my car, lap top on my, er lap. Vag com up and running with seemingly endless possibilities and I have not got a clue how to do anything. So frustrating Grrrr
Old 14th August 2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Tis home and once more working beautifully. Thank you Ben, you're a true maestro. For the literal minded, not the car. Although they to were astonishing, in a somewhat different kind of way.
Had a little play with Vag (ner) Com tonight. This for me is a humbling experience. Sitting there in my car, lap top on my, er lap. Vag com up and running with seemingly endless possibilities and I have not got a clue how to do anything. So frustrating Grrrr
Glad to have got her back to you! Sorry I wasn't here, had to deliver the RS2 back. I would have done anything possible to get you on yer holiday in the S8 rather than a Scooo... I can't even type it!!! My internal spell chacker just won't allow it!!

Hope you don't mind but I have done the article about this as I am DISGUTED that RAC would have carried out such rediculous "diagnosis"!!!

I will be doing a little thing on how to make use of VAG com if you're interetsed, at my open day. If ANYONE is interested that is, I don't wanna be sat in a corner on me own playing with VAG com - I do that all day!

Hopefully get my lap top back today - it is killing me from a diagnosis point of view! Not good. All I was trying to do was download The Italian Job (original version ofcourse) for my iPhone and it caught some horrensous virus that's written it off!
Old 14th August 2009, 08:42 AM
entwisi

unlikely to have 'written it off', may have just needed the magic touch of a geek or two.... just like most 8's would benefit from a touch of your magic!

I can usually recover most stuff from laptops/PCs as long as the disk actually spins up.

Have you thought of getting a basic netbook like an ASPIRE ONE? I have one and TBH its an ace piece of kit for 150 quid. it would also mean you can keep your personal 'downloads' seperate from teh business PC!
Old 14th August 2009, 09:08 AM

Yeah, I've got a man on it so to speak. Just got it back now but needed windows reload n all sorts of stuff so now re installing my diag stuff. All my own stuff now going on the PC!!!
Old 14th August 2009, 09:52 AM
entwisi

One thing you may wish to consider is when you have it all freshly installed just as you like to take a disk image at that point. Then if you ever need to restore again (or as with windows getting slower as time goes on ) you can just splat the image back over and 20 mins later its fresh as a daisy with all programs etc ready to roll.

let me know if you want/need help with this.