A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 11th December 2016, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up A8 Forum: ESSENTIAL for A8 ownership imho

Hi All,

A general post with two specific cases; hope you all find it (slightly) interesting...

1. My wipers failed, I learned how to diagnose by reading the forum, got advice the part was US and then Our Sponsors pulled a set off a car just in "cos I am a regular on the Forum"!

2. A forum search using the word "Moaning" brought up an exact result: cavitation of the power steering pump because of low fluid AND a prediction of where the system may be leaking.

This will allow me to plan for the repair next year, avoiding a shock and making me more willing to "invest" in an older car that has a "market worth" less than the repair.

As another regular user (Steamship??) says, the value of the vehicle is based on more than market price; how much is it worth to you? How much to replace with a similar quality vehicle? Again something I kind of understood but the Forum helped me put this into words.

So: a toast! The A8 Forum; an essential part of MY A8 ownership!

Robert
Old 11th December 2016, 03:00 PM

Great post, I agree, membership is a must and is worth its weight in A8 parts!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 11th December 2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBloke View Post

So: a toast! The A8 Forum; an essential part of MY A8 ownership!

Robert
Exactly! I'll drink to that!
Old 11th December 2016, 06:41 PM

I see it like any other grand love affair.
It takes money, and lots of it, supported by work, work, even more work, most of it with dirty hands and a few choice words of anglo saxon variety.
Then the pleasure that you receive from and with the wonderful beast makes you realise that all the hard work and cash flow juggling is worthwhile.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 11th December 2016, 07:00 PM

I'll join you gents in a toast, a very deserved one too. My search for a replacement exhaust for my D2 several years ago led me to this forum, immediately ending my search. I'd never been a member of forums previously and I seem to have chosen one of the best ones around at my first attempt. Since then it's been an invaluable source of information and A8 Parts have always delivered when I've needed assistance or second hand parts. The forum members feel like friends despite only having met a few and even if I no longer had an 8 I'd still hang around

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 12th December 2016, 12:58 PM

I'll drink to that as well

I've never been into forums myself, too many morons around and I don't deal with them very well...but, since I joined few years ago this is the place which is always open in my laptop, desktop, work, phone browser. Community like no others no doubt. Plus I made a lot new friends which speak the same language, language of a car freak, plus few really good friends we visit over or they visit us for a weekend where missus getting along very well allowing us to talk car stuff endlessly.

Combined knowledge on here is just mind blowing sometimes and in moments where hope has left you and car is just not doing what it supposed to you will always find a huge mental support on here along with help to your car troubles

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th December 2016, 04:08 PM

Default A8 Forum Rules!

Well, for me, this forum "rools" for the following reasons:

(1) Existential - My car was bought from someone on here (Ian/IT), so it wouldn't exist - in my head - if that hadn't happened , and having "Herman the German" has enriched my life - and saved it at least once.

(2) Financial - Although it was (at the time) the most expensive car I'd ever considered buying privately, I've saved a small fortune in running it directly from info. on here - including >£2k on replacement cats/exhausts, >£600 on winter tyres, etc, etc. And it's free! - thanks to Ian/David and all at A8 parts

(3) Inner peace - my S8 is important to me, and it means a lot to know that someone on here can help when it looks like things are coming unstuck.

(4) R&R - even though I've been on some very, very, good non-forum holidays, the ones with forum members on here are unfailingly excellent, which brings me to...

(5) Friendship - I've met a number of thoroughly nice chaps (and laydeees too!) on here. I never expected to develop good friends from this - it's a car forum FFS!! - and, all things considered, that's what ultimately makes it the best.

So I'd like to wish an early Merry Christmas to all on here and "lang may yer lum reek"

PS - "Lum" is not a part you'll find on TPS....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 12th December 2016, 07:29 PM

Steve,
May I plus 2 that?

'Cos Gwen agrees with both you and I.
(not often that SWMBO endorses me)

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th December 2016, 12:39 PM

Good thread this, we often forget the massive benefit being part of groups of like minded car nuts!
I am not a serial poster but check in on a regular basis. This forum and the good folks on here have saved me a fortune like when the suspension pump died on my D3, someone took the time share their experiences and I did the job myself
Also agree that the forum sponsors are top folks too, even when restoring my TVR they helped me out with some parts

Happy Christmas and here's to a great New Year to all
Cheers Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 14th December 2016, 04:15 PM

frankly I couldn't afford to run an A8 without the aid and advice from members here eg
how to pass the MOT by turning off the airbag light on sports seats

gift of old vagcom

collecting bumper from breakers

as well as other bits and bobs

F125 cure [ hopefully ]

as well as other bits and bobs

so thanks to all as well as our sponsors

Tags
essential, forum, praise