A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 8th January 2017, 08:20 AM

Default Time to change tyres

Hi,

It is getting close to tyre change time, and whilst I have lots of experience on the comparisons between Pirelli Pzero, Michelin PS2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym, my tyre of choice is the Goodyear, due to them being the quietest. However, I have just noticed when looking that there is now a new Goodyear option in my tyre size (265/40r20) that is still the Eagle F1 but with SCT - Sound Comfort Technology. Press release says reduction if tyre noise by 11dB, which reduces cabin noise by 4dB and if course if that I true, it's a no brainier.

Anyone tried these yet and have any feedback, as all reviews I can find relate to the non-SCT version.

Cheers
Mark
Old 8th January 2017, 09:08 AM

If it makes any difference, I've just bought two Avon ZZ5 tyres. It's too early to have an opinion on them but they have good reviews and they are marked as A rated for wet with 70db for noise (looks like 1db more than F1 SCT) . Plus they're made in England.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Last edited by pete-p; 8th January 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 8th January 2017, 09:28 AM

I run the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics on my cat at the moment. I've mostly fitted F1s on my cars and have always been happy with them - the GSD3 was amazingly quiet.

I'm hoping to try on a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres on mine next:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...ss-Release.htm

2008 Audi S8
Old 8th January 2017, 10:09 AM

Looks like the technology has been around a while, was actually launched for the A8.

http://www.goodyear.eu/corporate_eme...hnology_161644

I wonder if a puncture repair would still be possible!?
Old 8th January 2017, 11:43 AM

Thanks for quick responses guys.

I can't find the Avon's available in my size, and whilst as you state that at 70bD they are 1dB more than the F1's, I think you are looking at 19" spec, as the F1's move up to 71dB in 20" guise.

The F1 SCT spec states the same dB value as non-SCT, as both the 11dB and 4dB reductions are both "up to", and hence they can't quote any benefit. However, as noise levels double/halve every 3dB (or somethinng around that value), it has the potential to roughly halve the interior noise.

Mine is an April 15 reg car, but checking with Audi, physical build date was Dec 14. Tyres on car are original fit F1's (16k miles) and I can't find any markings to suggest they are already SCT.

Interesting point on puncture repairs - probably a good question for me to pose to my fleet tyre provider, as might get a response via that route, as Goodyear unlikely to respond with anythinng other than marketinng BS at a consumer level.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 8th January 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
I'm hoping to try on a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres on mine next:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...ss-Release.htm
That is my plan.
Currently on 18" winters with a set of bare diamond-cut FE 20's locked away for the spring/summer awaiting availability of PS4S in the right size.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th January 2017, 12:49 PM

A8 is very quite car anyway. For me tyre sound level is not that important. The price is obviously important or to be more precise value for money, in terms of performance most important is the grip level, especially at the conditions where it's normally low like cold and wet. Second is ageing in terms of change of hardness and loss of grip due to age, then wear, then ride comfort and noise and fuel economy come in last, I mean I don't try to sleep while driving so don't need them to be quite I will not set any fuel economy records with a V8. The tyres are the only thing connecting you to the road and even if you do not drive hard or on the limit at the time of emergency it could make big difference, it does not matter how good your brakes or steering are if you do not have enough tyre grip to keep you connected to road. I have Eagle F1 tyres made in 2012 on 8 that I put on car in 2014 and grip has been poor since start, especially in wet and cold, if it is 20C+ then it's kind of OK and grip is getting worse as they age. They are quite I'll give them that and comfort is not bad as well but I will definitely not buy another set. From the Avon I only had ZZ3 on A6 when bought it and they were horrible, mediocre grip on warm and dry at best, poor grip on cold and wet and wore out quickly, I have seen Korean makes perform better.

I like the Michelins best and in fact I like winters more which are great for 90% of year of UK weather, can get a bit floating if temperature is 25C+ but still doing fine. Great grip in any conditions, not much loss of grip due to age and last very long. I have not tried their new CrossClimate yet so they could be good contender. But obviously any winter tyre and probably CrossClimate as well will make more noise and be worse on fuel economy.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 8th January 2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 8th January 2017, 08:16 PM

I've had a fair few D4s the last couple of years, all on new tyres - Goodyear Continental and Pirelli all seem to be the OEM fit from new - in 19, 20 and 21 inch variants the difference was negligible between them all.

My advice, go with the best price
Old 8th January 2017, 11:42 PM

https://www.camskill.co.uk

highly recommend these guys for tyres, supply only, but they do price match

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 10th January 2017, 08:20 PM

Question Quiet compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
A8 is very quite car anyway. For me tyre sound level is not that important.
Hi,

Should I worry? On anything but "billiard table" smooth roads the noise intrusion in my D2 is bad in my opinion.

I haven't had many high end luxury cars (oh, yes: ANY before this! ) but have travelled in Mercs, Jags and one Lexus. All were much quieter.

So tell me: do I have a problem??

Robert