A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 7th March 2017, 10:08 PM

Default Headlight bulbs needed - recommendations/tips

This evening my drivers side bi-Xenon bulb failed and I got the warning in the cluster - didn't notice at first as the car is pretty mucky, though I did hear the beep!
First time in 15 years of S8 with HID ownership that a Xenon bulb has failed on me!

I'll probably replace both as they've been pretty slow to warm up for a while and losing power, but what do people recommend? I want OEM colour temperature, not anything whiter though brighter would be fine. I'm expecting a hefty bill.
At the same time I'll probably replace the supplementary main-beam halogens - what are they and what do people recommend as brighter and whiter? They're probably 2002 OEM so pretty pathetic by modern standards.
Finally, how difficult a job is it and any tips on making it easier? I did replace the main-beam halogens on my PF S8 and it was a nightmare job requiring removal of ballasts, airbox and sundry other bits, hopefully the FL is easier. All I've ever done on the current FL is replace the sidelight bulbs.

So that's 3 questions, in summary:
1. Recommended OEM colour bi-xenon bulbs for a FL D2.
2. Recommended supplementary main-beam halogens
3. Tips and techniques for replacing them
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th March 2017, 10:16 PM

Hi Andrew

I'd have a look for the best prices on the Philips X-treme vision D2R bulbs - standard 4.8k temperature but 50% brighter. Around £65 a pop from places like autobulbsdirect

I think the front flash is an H7, but best to remove and double check. Same brand and model as above is what I had in mine and were a decent colour match. I was paying about £25 a pair off ebay for genuine Philips X-treme vision.

They are straightforward to fit - from memory the air hose needs moving on the driver's side - but if you've got shovel sized hands it might be a squeeze! Welcome to pop down if you need some assistance

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th March 2017, 10:46 PM

Thanks Adrian. Because my car was first registered in 2003 all the web sites offer D2S bulbs, assuming that it's a D3 I guess.
If I override that and put in 2002 they say D2R and H7 which is what I though they were.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th March 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I think the front flash is an H7, but best to remove and double check. Same brand and model as above is what I had in mine and were a decent colour match. I was paying about £25 a pair off ebay for genuine Philips X-treme vision.
They also now have a "Racing Vision" version for a couple of quid more that are even brighter at the same 3700K colour temperature. Shorter life/warranty though.
To match the 4800K xenon's you need the "Diamond Vision" which are 5000K but nothing like as bright. Also not E-marked so not legal.
Old 8th March 2017, 07:05 AM

I never noticed a major colour difference between HID and main beam support with the ones I had - they're certainly bright enough to be effective!

We used the H7s in our C5 A6 as headlight bulbs and they averaged a 2 year life - after fitting on the S8 I never needed to replace them as they obviously aren't on anywhere near as much

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th March 2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I'd have a look for the best prices on the Philips X-treme vision D2R bulbs - standard 4.8k temperature but 50% brighter. Around £65 a pop from places like autobulbsdirect
Found a big eBay seller (with excellent feedback) offering at a good price and a 10% discount for 2 so just ordered a pair for £99.
They don't do the H7's at a particularly good price so I'll get those elsewhere.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:03 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I'd have a look for the best prices on the Philips X-treme vision D2R bulbs
Yep, I'd definitely recommend Philips X-tremeVision too.

I bought the new Gen2 X-tremeVision bulbs recently (in D2R), as I mentioned here. A tad expensive but a great improvement on the old (regular Philips) bulbs I had.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 8th March 2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
as I mentioned here. A tad expensive but a great improvement on the old (regular Philips) bulbs I had.
Ah, I remember reading that now, and not that much more expensive either, about £64 each on eBay.

However, too late, I've already ordered the previous version which will probably be a great improvement on what I had.
It's a high days and holidays car anyway so I don't do much night driving.
And even with only the nearside bulb working it was perfectly adequate on the local twisty lanes last night.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:37 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I think you probably made a good choice regardless. I suspect the Gen2 improvements (over Gen1) are negligible and not as great as the marketing spiel would have us believe. I think both will show similar improvements over standard. I actually bought a pair of Gen1 bulbs first but I haven't fitted them. When I discovered the Gen2s were out I decided to buy those too and keep the Gen1s as a spare set.

You're probably already aware of this, but just make sure the bulbs you have are genuine; there are a lot of fakes, especially Gen1s (probably just because the Gen2s haven't been around very long yet). As I understand it, some of the fakes are far inferior and can radiate a lot of UV which can damage the plastic headlight lenses. The first pair I received were fakes. At first glance they looked genuine but the giveaway was that the authenticity labels were identical and had the same number; comparing other fake characteristics online (in particular the lack of welding) confirmed they were fake. The seller pleaded ignorance (blaming his supplier) but replaced them with a genuine pair. The labels on the genuine pair were unique and the holographic part was much more noticeable.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 8th March 2017, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the tips on checking for genuine items; I'll look very closely.