A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 24th April 2017, 08:54 PM

Default 0 litres VCDS fuel level

I always trusted the fuel level in litres measuring block in VCDS.
So yesterday I was driving back home when the fuel level warning came on. I knew, or thought I knew that from that point I had 12 litres left. The trip computer said I had 100km range left and as it happens I had 102km to home. We all know the trip computer is a bit cautious and that there can be several miles range left when range drops to zero.
So the range did finally reach zero after 99km (pretty accurate?), and Indrove on for another 3km to home. Got home fine no funny noises from engine or fuel pump, so I assumed must have a few litres left in there.

Out of curiosity today I checked the fuel level in VCDS and was disturbed to see 0.0 litres left!

I am sure there was at least a litre left in there as there were no signs of fuel starvation.
Just to be on the safe side I take a5l fuel can down to local pertol station only 6mins walk away, fill up 4.5l.
After I pored it in the tank I check VCDS fuel level, now the reading keeps toggling between 3l and 4l, so split the difference he fuel gauge thinks there are only 3.5l in the tank when in reality its at least 4.5l more likely over 5l.

Conclusion, VCDS fuel level reading is not accurate either.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:48 PM

Should be easy to check.
Go to petrol station, read what VCDS says is in the tank then fill up at the pump. Add the VCDS and fill up figures, then compare with your tanks capacity.
Old 25th April 2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Should be easy to check.
Go to petrol station, read what VCDS says is in the tank then fill up at the pump. Add the VCDS and fill up figures, then compare with your tanks capacity.
I would compare the VCDS figure for the full tank against how much fuel you put in there.
The VCDS output and the trip computer probably use the same reading and there would have to be a safety factor in the reading to ensure the car doesn't actually run out of fuel.
Going the 103/99 km range may have put the tank a half litre below the safety level, which explains your 3-4 litre reading maybe?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 25th April 2017, 08:16 AM

Fuel tank is comparably low and wide and irregular shape and the cars is not always level, there is no way you will get very accurate reading and it has to be on the cautions side to avoid running out of fuel. For a floating sensor to register anything there need to be certain level of fuel to lift it. If you have dry tank you can probably put couple of litres of fuel in it and the sensor float will still be resting on the bottom of tank and showing no fuel. I think you would do better with load cells checking weight of tank than 2 floating sensors.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 25th April 2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I think you would do better with load cells checking weight of tank than 2 floating sensors.
Isn't there also a way of doing this with voltage drop along a wire indicating volume?
Can probably still fluctuate like a floating sensor though...

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 25th April 2017, 11:18 AM

I didn't realise they use a float, that's reassuring that even when it reads zero there are a around a couple of litres in there. Not that I plan to use them
I will try the full tank trick, to try and calculate how much was in there. That's assuming the VCDS reading at full tank is accurate also.
The petrol station is only 0.4 miles away so I won't lose much fuel getting there.

I do wish they used a more accurate sensor, and a litre display on the dash, it is more reassuring to see how much fuel is left rather than some range calculation. They could have displayed both anyway!
Old 25th April 2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I didn't realise they use a float
Yes, the straight tube that goes in through the fuel pump housing contains a float for fuel level. This is a float within the tube.
On the left hand side of the tank is a second float which is more like a toilet cistern float valve, this is only for the low fuel warning light.

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 25th April 2017, 02:14 PM

They are both connected in series adding up resistance

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 25th April 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 25th April 2017, 03:10 PM

I didn't know that!
My observation of the left hand float is that it doesn't go high enough to register a full tank.

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 25th April 2017, 09:44 PM

Ainar you know everything about these cars.
You must have taken one apart and put it back together again.
Its good to know these things.