A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th December 2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Congrats. Enjoy the V8
I was not completely out of V8 scene, I still had S4 Cab after letting S8 go. Well mostly wife was driving it, you know how it goes; I have S8, wife has A6 estate, guess who is driving what! I get S4 Cab, wife drives Cab, I still drive her A6 TDI estate. I buy A8 4.2TDI D3, yes you guessed it right - she drives A8, I still drive A6 estate, S4 cab is parked on the drive.

D3 is a great car but not much enjoyment in it, it's a waftmobile, it does not encourage drive for enjoyment. It's fast enough once warmed up and in this poor weather Toyo tyres brake traction in 1st in straight line and even in 2nd coming out of roundabouts but there is not much fun, you are more drawn to drive it sensibly although speed perception is somewhat diluted so I end up going 90-100 everywhere instead of 70-80 but I get up to speed more slowly and take it more easy around corners. I have 7.5 mile drive work to home, google shows 12-14 minutes and I do it in 13-14 in A8 even going 90 in the straight bits. In A6 2.5TDI quattro sport estate I consistently do it in 11 min without exceeding 80 but I accelerate harder and go faster around corners, Michelin tyres on A6 help as well. I have Michelin Pilot Alpin coming for A8 and maybe a remap is do for A8 as well and possibly another oil change for the box as it seems a bit lazy, it's better than 5 speed on D2 but 1st-2nd seem a bit more lazy than it should be on 6HP in cold.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure