A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 16th February 2016, 10:56 AM

If I remember correctly (iirc) there is a way to make the refit easy. There is something in the fitting that compresses the spring slightly taking the spring pressure off the nearside bearing whilst positioning the mirror. Once in place this something is released allowing the bearing to engage firmly.
I struggled for ages until giving up, doing a search and finding the answer. It was still a pain and took me a couple of goes until I followed the destructions correctly when it became an easy fix.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 16th February 2016, 11:31 AM

David,
That is how I did mine until I was pointed at the spare socket in the roof electrics.
The tip that went with this was to use a chopstick to push the cable under the lining.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 16th February 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
David,
That is how I did mine until I was pointed at the spare socket in the roof electrics.
The tip that went with this was to use a chopstick to push the cable under the lining.
I had the benefit of The Laird's trim tools
Well, I just went for the simplest way and one which avoided getting solder over the dash!!
Old 16th February 2016, 01:53 PM

SWMBO has just purchased a battery powered soldering iron for me. It runs on two AA batteries and cost £4.79. It attains melt point in about five seconds and cools down rather quickly as well.
Big thing is it fits really well in the car toolbox.

Old 16th February 2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
You could also take the gubbins out of the cig lighter adapter and just wrap it up in tape. They're usually only the size of a large stamp. That's how my fixed phone charger bracket runs in my A6

Without following all the tracks, I'd say some of the surplus lamps in your diagram are probably for switches, rather than bulbs you can get to.

Elsawin implies that the mirror has to come off before that trim will move. Its not very clear on how though - "use screwdriver to lever out interior mirror on left side between mounting plate and mirror base"
Yes this is a good idea. Looks like I may have to take apart the adapter for another reason anyway. The mini-usb plug is too large to squeeze past the reading lights surround trim and the roof lining. I'll have to chop the wire off, which should be able to feed through, then re-solder it to the regulator inside the cig lighter type housing.

I actually have a spare brand new roof surround trim so now I can see that where I was originally trying to squeeze the mini-usb through it was hitting solid plastic. I still can't figure out whats holding the surround trim on so tightly even with bolts removed. it doesn't actually touch the mirror arm at all, once the little square mirror trim is dislodged the rest of the surround should be able to move.
On my spare trim it is made up of two pieces sandwiched together loosely with lots of plastic tabs that protrude through the top layer. Looks like the roof fabric is sandwiched between these two, I hope they are not plastic-welded together pinching the roof liner permanently.

This is all probably not making much sense without pictures. Its too dark now but when I get a chance I will take some photos.

Yes, perhaps I should have just gone for a connection which is ignition switched. I thought it would be cool to be able to switch the camera on/off with a button, and I like the red led on the regulator indicating its on (I have an idea how to make this light visible). I never use the mirror reading lights, plus I thought routing the cable would be easier and more hidden from that location.

Space wise, there is a ton of space in the roof so that's no problem at all. Just trying to find the most invisible way to push the cable and plug through is proving a bit tricky.

If anyone has removed the mirror/lights plastic surround non-destructively please tell me your tips. The bolts alone don't even budge it.

Jim thanks for the rubber covered needle pliers tip for the mini bulbs in the mirror, I'll give that a try.

Last edited by Goran; 16th February 2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 21st February 2016, 10:45 AM

Here are some pictures of my attempted charging wire placement. The whole purpose of this seemingly un-necessary faffing is to hide the wire as much as possible, I simply hate the sight of any dangling wiring.

I am a bit stuck but I am sure there is a solution. My biggest problem is that the roof console trim surround is sandwiched around the roof lining and then plastic welded, that's why it won't come out even with bolts undone.
That's kind of ruined, or made very difficult my plans to change the beige trim to the black trim I bought. I think it is possible by carefully cutting off the welded tabs, but very very difficult without much room to manouver tools up there.

As for the wire, I will find some place to feed it through.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 roof console surround trim with notes.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	12480   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 roof console trim 2 notes.JPG
Views:	1173
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	12481   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 roof console trim 3 notes.JPG
Views:	1150
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	12482   Click image for larger version

Name:	S8 roof trim notes.JPG
Views:	1158
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	12483  

Last edited by Goran; 21st February 2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 21st February 2016, 01:38 PM

I pushed a wire between the lining and the windscreen which then hangs down to the camera which is mounted on a windscreen sticky pad behind the mirror.
The wire is actually a twin core cable with camera +ve and earth.
There is plenty of room above the lining and to either side of the roof electronics for the 12v to camera voltage dropper.

Old 22nd February 2016, 01:55 PM

So your voltage regulator is above the reading light switch hatch as well?
Yes tonnes of room up there, no problem, I could fit another 5 regulators up there.
I was stuck where to feed the wire through to the camera in a neat way.
So you squeezed the wire past the roof lining at the top of the windscreen? I'll try that too seems to be much easier than what I'm attempting.
I was worried about leaving a permanent bend in the roof lining from the wire, but maybe it will be fine.
Old 22nd February 2016, 04:47 PM

Goran,
Here is a photo of where my cables come out between the roof lining and the windscreen. Might be a bit confusing at first view, I squeezed the camera up between the mirror and the windscreen 'cos the view from outside is not very good, sun screen takes too much light.
There are two cables because I have a second cable to the camera for an "event" button that I have placed on the centre console. My camera has an event button built in but being mounted behind the mirror it is awkward for the driver to reach so I have added my own remote.

I honestly believe that there is no lining distortion and from the driver position I cannot see the cables or the camera.
SWMBO can see them, but who cares (Don't let her see this )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160222_162041[1].jpg (486.8 KB, 537 views)

Old 22nd February 2016, 11:33 PM

Thanks
The lining doesn't look distorted at all. That's where I'm going to feed the wire through too, and discard my other ideas about cutting the cable and trying to get it between the lining and roof console trim.