A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 25th December 2017, 11:32 AM

Tried a bit of other side of mining as well renting a rig myself on MRR and mining some Bytecoin. It would have been cheaper to do it myself but for the sake of experience 0.00043920 BTC is not much, that should earn me about 500 BCN in 3 hours worth 0.000295 BTC. I will have a look at using NiceHash to mine as well. Just having a look at the infrastructure from different angles and getting more informed to better utilise my resources.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th December 2017, 05:08 PM

It's almost New Year, so I thought I could reference an article I just read.
How to heat the house with cryptocurrency miners

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2017...hereum-heater/

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 27th December 2017, 05:25 PM

Since I've had mine running we've noticed that some rooms in the house have become noticeably colder as the heating isn't turning on as much any more due to the living room (where the thermostat is) being warmed up by the rig

I need an asic machine to heat the bathroom now
Old 27th December 2017, 05:55 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

That's a pretty neat heater-miner

It reminds me of this article I read a while ago:
https://news.bitcoin.com/ukraine-hot...bitcoin-miner/

There you go MJ, that'll heat your bathroom!

My house is toasty warm now (a little too warm if anything), despite having the heating switched off and near-freezing temperatures outside ... all thanks to about a dozen GPUs and 4 Antminers (soon to be 5).
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 27th December 2017, 07:45 PM

Yeah that'd work I'm sure it would be possible to make something similar from an Antminer type machine too - one big waterblock per board, plumbed in to a common water system, then you can move the heat wherever you want it.

I'd like a couple of R4s to heat kitchen too, but they never come up for sale at sensible prices.

I've been wondering about watercooling the Vegas but they're doing ok in the airing cupboard
Old 28th December 2017, 09:30 AM

My S9 shipped Christmas day along with the power supply a few hours earlier in a separate shipment. They need vat etc paying. £288 for the S9 and £35!!! for the PSU....If they'd have been in the same box I bet that would be lower. Sometimes I do wonder about Bitmain!

The PSU is held in Cambridge as it was due today, the S9 tomorrow, so am guessing if I pay today they'll ship them both from Cambs together!

However we're closed for the Holidays as it was an end of Jan shipment it wasn't an issue....I could hope that my neighbors (factories) accept the delivery as I could easily pop in tomorrow at some point as i have to go that way.....or I hold on paying customs for a few days until mid next week....but that's 5 days lost mining !!!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 28th December 2017, 09:56 AM

That's quick for end of January batch, I am still waiting for the one that was originally start of January, than changed 10-20th December after I ordered it, Bitmain now says it will be despatched around 2nd January.

You are right about it being cheaper if it was on same waybill as UPS call it because they charge about £11 quid brokerage charge for each waybill. The problem is that they are shipped from different places, I assume Bitmain does not do any of their manufacturing but outsource it to other factories and stock ships straight from factories. If I remember correctly all of my PSUs shipped from one address/ company, 2 of L3+s each from different address, and D3 from yet another place. Interesting that even 2 L3+s from different batches were from different locations, they also have different fans and one only has intake grille while the other one has both. And the one I bought from e-bay has different fans to the other 2.

8 history:
Old 29th December 2017, 05:40 AM

Just found out yesterday that my friend who ordered 2x S9's from the end of January batch have received them yesterday and PSU's are coming today. I am not impressed as I ordered mine 20 days earlier than him and from beginning of January batch and mine still has not shipped.

8 history:
Old 29th December 2017, 07:27 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Just found out yesterday that my friend who ordered 2x S9's from the end of January batch have received them yesterday and PSU's are coming today. I am not impressed as I ordered mine 20 days earlier than him and from beginning of January batch and mine still has not shipped.
Mine still hasn't shipped yet either. I think we both ordered them at the same time.

Perhaps they've had a few problems with the batch. It's possible that, once they've assigned customers to a batch, they remain assigned to that particular batch, regardless of any problems or delays. I suppose if they were to send us machines from a different/later batch, they would then need to reassign the customers who ordered those to a later batch too ... ad infinitum.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th December 2017, 12:39 PM

I think it could be to do that 1 batch is made in one factory and other in another and one of them is running behind, other ahead. Still does not take away from my disappointment I did send Bitmain message about my how I feel, maybe they will give me coupon for future order or something. I already have one for $125 they just gave me for no reason but I could do with another one Also there are some L3+'s available for 1st March batch now.

Played around with one of my RX580 cards, the one I got from Amazon for £102. In stock form it was doing about 540H/s CryptoNight, overclocked 610H/s, now with modded BIOS 830H/s and at lower power consumption and temperature. Need to find time to mod rest of my RX5**, RX4** cards, most of them are already modded for ETH and already have increased performance for CryptoNight 700-800H/s but this could potentially be increased further and some cards are not modded at all yet.

8 history: