A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th July 2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
Yeah I did them myself. I've only done the rears though. I think they're trickier than the front. It's just the same as on any vehicle except you need VCDS or a generic code reading unit to allow you to wind back the callipers. Once the callipers are wound back, you release and remove the sliding pins, remove the caliper and then wind back the callipers with a wind back tool.

Remove the calliper carrier and disc then refit all. You don't need any special tools just the usual tools you'd need for any brake change.
can you tell , did you input new pad thickness pad values in vcds after you changed them ? if yes where exactly and what procedure you fallowed ?

i ordered set for front and back, pagid pads, all together(front +back) with promotion code and delivery came to £90 from ECP
Old 20th July 2016, 10:25 PM

I used a generic OBD tool to wind back the pistons and then wound them back on again once I'd finished. I know that VCDS asks you to enter the new pad mm thickness but I wasn't asked with the tool I used.

Do a search on youtube on guides to change rear pads on later Audi models. I think C7 A6's have the same procedure.
Old 1st August 2016, 09:04 AM

update on whole procedure.

i have changed front and rear.

front: no issues, just to remember wear sensors are not icluded in set, luckily mine sensors were ok, you can buy them seperate for cost of around £8. changing procedure as any other braking system, release 2 caliper nuts and one on outer side of caliper. caliper will come off, change pads and put everything back together.

rear: release parking brake - in vcds, controller 53(parking brake) -my controller is working in UDS protocol - so go to basic settings - from drop down list choose 'start linning change procedure' - you will hear parking brake winding all way back and screen shows 'running' - once screen shows 'not running' - go out from controller- close vcds - turn off ignition - you will notice parking brake button and 'P' on dash will flash - also don't worry if during changing process both lights stop flashing, it is energy saving feature. - next thing changing pads - well piece of cake - remove 2 nuts from back of caliper - and now before you remove caliper - use flat bar or big flat screwdriver put it in between old pad and caliper on outer side of wheel hub and pry on it and your piston will go magically back and you don't have to use later any special tools and caliper will be ready to take any size of pads and new disc. i had both sensors broken on back and they are included with pads, swap them. after you changed rear pads on both wheels put ignition on press brake pedal few times until feels hard open vcds module 53 - basic setting - from list choose ' end of lining change process' you will hear again parking brake working again and wait until vdcs shows 'finished' - parking brake button and 'P' on dash stops flashing - engage parking brake through button then release and engage again - now in vcds go to 53 module erase all faults, if everything is done correctly, faults will be gone and won't come back- also go to module 08 abs clear all faults and to module 01 engine and clear all faults. go for ride and enjoy new pads. JOB DONE!

one thing - i forgot about brake fluid so when i push pistons back brake fluid came out through tank lid and went through drainage on driveway. as fluid is corrosive i used luke warm water with fairy liquid and washed tank and flushed drainage.

second thing - i didnt hook up battery charger for whole procedure but I advise you to do it.

i took us 40 minutes to do front and rear.
Old 12th February 2022, 07:19 PM

Pad warning light came on so sent car to get front pads replaced ,when she came back with the new pads light still on ,sent her back and mechanic says sensors ok and it has to be a broken wire somewhere ,not a big job to fix if you could find the break ,does anybody know if I can disable the pad warning light with Ross Tec and if so does anybody know how please

( d4 car)

Thanks
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Old 13th February 2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S81 View Post
does anybody know if I can disable the pad warning light with Ross Tec and if so does anybody know how please
You might want to check out the following thread on the VCDS forum. The OP had the same issue on a 2014 A6, so in theory this should work on the D4. Posts #6 and #8 are the important ones:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/22141/

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th February 2022, 12:41 PM

Thanks Sean I'll have a look and see how it goes
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Old 13th February 2022, 03:55 PM

Worked ist time no bother ,thank again Sean
Daily driver

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey