A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th November 2017, 10:41 AM

Default Crunching sound from suspension when going over bumps

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

Ref 2005 A8 D3 SE

I've noticed recently that I'm hearing a crunching sound from my front suspension when going over and dropping down off speed bumps. I also get this sound when going over potholes and minor bumps in the road. I've been told it may be my main shock absorbers. What do you all think.
Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 11:11 AM

Welcome

If it's a creaking sound which goes away a bit when everything has warmed up then it's likely to be worn anti-roll bar bushes.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th November 2017, 12:02 PM

Whats the mileage?
Its a bit hard to say without some further tests/inspection but you can try bouncing each wing by hand to see if its just one side or both. And even then thats not necessarily going to tell you definitively. If you can get it on ramps you can check the state of the suspension/ARB bushes if you know what you are looking for. If you can lift it off the wheels on a 2 post lift then you can give the suspension arms etc a good wrenching around to find out if bushes are worn.
Was the suggestion of shocks from a garage after an inspection or was it someone elses opinion on the noise after hearing it or you telling them about it?
Old 13th November 2017, 12:46 PM

I agree, anti-rollbar bushes. Seems to be a design fault. Had a new ARB fitted by Audi and only lasted one winter before crunching again in cold damp weather like we have now. Next time I replace the drop links, will be a good oppurtunity to superglue the rubber bushes to the bar.
Old 14th November 2017, 01:51 AM

Default Unsure how to reply to each person. (Sorry the forum concept is new to me)

Thanks for the reply and advice everyone.

Conquistador
Unfortunately no it's actually all the time from start to finish. Car can be cold/warm it's a constant crunching sound that's only heard on bumps/ speed humps.

David's8
The milage is approximately 192k but has been well looked after. I'm due to take it into my garage today. Their pretty good and have dealt with every car I've had. I'll defo ask them to look at the ARB to see if that's the problem. Yeah initially I told someone about it and they suggested it may be my shocks.

Snapdragon
It's great to see that all of you have suggested the exact same thing being the ARB. In that instance I know if that's the problem, I can grab a good set off ebay for a good price.

I'll update you all on the problem when I find out.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:30 AM

If someone disconnects the anti-rollbar drop links, you can freely move the roll bar up and down with your hand and feel/hear the same noise.
I lubricated mine with silicone spray but it only lasted a few months.
The bushes are not availabe from Audi as a sperate part, but if you can get after-market ones, I think you can replace them but not 100% sure.
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/bush...7920_g331.html
Old 14th November 2017, 03:45 PM

Default Diagnosis

Snapdragon
Thanks for the additional info.

It was definitely the bushes on both sides. Been told it's best to replace them as they take alot of stress. Just waiting for their price before I jump on eBay. They're pretty good as they'll fit anything that I buy from a different source like eBay etc.

Might take this opportunity to also look at getting some lowering links installed.

Thanks to you all for being welcoming and helping me out.
Old 15th November 2017, 03:17 AM

Check that the wheel arch liners are in correctly and secured on the side making the noises as well, and that the undertray is not rubbing anywhere, its not unheard of for either to rub as the car moves over speed bumps and cause a noise

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th November 2017, 06:39 PM

Thanks Architex_mA8tey I'll get them to look into that also.
Old 15th November 2017, 06:56 PM

I'd start with the C shaped drop links which can be changed on your driveway handy enough.

Tags
crunching sound, shock absorbers, suspension