A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 20th April 2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator

There is no forum post - we have an email in our inbox offering it to us cheap...

We're getting a lot of queries about gearbox servicing now, and its a tough call to make.

I dont doubt that if a box was routinely serviced from new every 20,000 miles then its sure to last longer, but the owner who pays 50K+ for a car is only going to keep it a year or two and move it on. Whilst its not part of the routine maintenance of the car, then it wont get done in the early years...

So then they are bought second hand with 60K+ on the clock and the million dollar question is - Has the damage already been done?

Also if you did service it every 20K from new, then 8 services by the time it hits 160K and it would cost £1600 at £200 a shot, which is most of the cost of a new box... And whilst Audi are now doing all inclusive service packs, its hardly in their interest to make it more expensive for themselves..

Another school of thought says that if you take a box that has been happy for 100K miles and 'disturb' it by filling it with nice fresh oil, this can reduce the life of the box by disloging sludge that was happily not causing a problem before.

So, the bottom line is - I dont know whether you should do 'frank' or not. He has been done before at 66K, so in theory he's not really due for another 10K at the earliest ?

I assume ZF must have a pretty good idea though, as they do actually make the gearboxes, so perhaps directing these queries direct to them (in your best dutch german dialect!) might yeild us some 'best advice'

I do still strongly believe that Audi are neither best placed to advise, nor service these boxes as they simply dont have enough hands on with them, and I'm not about to start spouting recommendations as I'm dedinitely not a gearbox technician, just an observer seeing a lot of broken boxes....

I'd still love to know why the 4 speed boxes dont break..... ever...... We had one with 330,000 miles on it a few months back...

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 20th April 2009, 04:36 PM
harpersimon

I hope I am not tempting fate here, but 160k and smooth as glass changes in mine - if it didn't have a 5 on the TIP display, I would think its a 4 speed.
I am definately in the 'ain't broke' zone at the moment..
Watch it die on the way home now..
Old 20th April 2009, 05:06 PM

For what my opinion's worth, I think Ian is bang on the money. I bought my S8 with over 100K on the clock, zero gearbox problems. Got the best (IMO) service available via CAT and the thing starts misbehaving badly 9 weeks later .
CAT told me about the "disturbing the sealed box" theory and from my experience, this actually happened.
It's back at CAT as of today and I'm waiting to find out the cost - drove it there in Tiptronic and it was faultless, until I kicked down or pulled away from first: she turned into a ghetto gangster hopping suspension thing - quite comical when I wasn't dabbing tears from my eyes. Looks like a primary clutch or torque converter issue.
Graham at Chester Autos sympathizes and says they just rebuilt a ZF box and on finding that it was quite good inside, charged 1200 rather than 2K so fingers crossed.
The recon 'box will be guaranteed for 12K miles or 1 year (not 2 years like some places ), so I'm inclined to ask for them to replace anything that even looks dodgy, knowing that 1675 plus fitting is the "warts n all" cost.
I've asked them to look for any revised/upgraded parts from ZF in the build (noting the changes internally from Ian's thread).

Also, could have sworn I heard the steering pump whine when I was cornering today - hmm, where's Ian's business number.

Priced up cambelt change too (with water pump) and even Audi said "take a breath" to the local Independant -nearly 400 quid in parts before the water pump.

If the gearbox fails again soon, she'll be getting a "hard impact test" for the cogs from the top of Dover cliffs....

I say that, but I drove her faultlessly for 20 mins late last night, sunroof open and that V8 with those quad pipes makes me forgive all her little foibles. I call mine her, because only a woman could be so temperamental, stunning to look at and make me smile whilst draining my money so quickly! Seductive ol' barge - I should declare myself a mug!

Last edited by jmw748; 20th April 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 21st April 2009, 07:11 AM
entwisi

The guy that did mine offers 12 month but unlimited mileage warranty. He told me he does get a lot of Audi's in, particularly 8's and large engined 6's.

Total cost was 2400 all in.

He also had a 52 plate S8 in which the guy had left ages ago and was due to be collecting soon ( had been out the country or something). I had a scout round it as expected, Silver with Black, it had quite a lot of corrosion on the black painted bits like windscreen surround and even the little triangular bits at the rear of the rear doors. I noticed a load of quite deep scratches all over the car so it looked like it wasn't a particularly 'cherished' example.
Old 21st April 2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw748 View Post
For what my opinion's worth, I think Ian is bang on the money. I bought my S8 with over 100K on the clock, zero gearbox problems. Got the best (IMO) service available via CAT and the thing starts misbehaving badly 9 weeks later .
CAT told me about the "disturbing the sealed box" theory and from my experience, this actually happened.
It's back at CAT as of today and I'm waiting to find out the cost - drove it there in Tiptronic and it was faultless, until I kicked down or pulled away from first: she turned into a ghetto gangster hopping suspension thing - quite comical when I wasn't dabbing tears from my eyes. Looks like a primary clutch or torque converter issue.
Graham at Chester Autos sympathizes and says they just rebuilt a ZF box and on finding that it was quite good inside, charged 1200 rather than 2K so fingers crossed.
The recon 'box will be guaranteed for 12K miles or 1 year (not 2 years like some places ), so I'm inclined to ask for them to replace anything that even looks dodgy, knowing that 1675 plus fitting is the "warts n all" cost.
I've asked them to look for any revised/upgraded parts from ZF in the build (noting the changes internally from Ian's thread).

Also, could have sworn I heard the steering pump whine when I was cornering today - hmm, where's Ian's business number.

Priced up cambelt change too (with water pump) and even Audi said "take a breath" to the local Independant -nearly 400 quid in parts before the water pump.

If the gearbox fails again soon, she'll be getting a "hard impact test" for the cogs from the top of Dover cliffs....

I say that, but I drove her faultlessly for 20 mins late last night, sunroof open and that V8 with those quad pipes makes me forgive all her little foibles. I call mine her, because only a woman could be so temperamental, stunning to look at and make me smile whilst draining my money so quickly! Seductive ol' barge - I should declare myself a mug!
I have a few other theories on the gearbox issues too, ill post later.

But with regards to the cambelt kit, get the full kit from Euro Car Parts for £100. It's not genuine Audi, but it is high quality.
Old 21st April 2009, 09:30 PM
harpersimon

I'd agree on the cambelt - no need to pay past 4-500 all in!
Old 25th February 2011, 09:57 AM

I too am curious as to what makes these auto boxes fail. ZF seemed to have done such a good job.
From Paul's post on audiworld it looks like the torque converter wasnt that bad, and Paul's explanation of auto box operation seems to indicate that torque converters arent really expected to fail?

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1751249

I had my transmission oil changed 3 years ago (at 79,000miles) and its still ok. Does this mean its safe to change it again because nothing got dislodged last time

I have also bought a cheap DGV manual box from Germany 2 years ago, but I have been thinking hard and am mostly concluding that I prefer the auto.
I dont think I could shift as smoothly as the auto does during acceleration, and my other real worry is dropping gear when wishing to accelerate on a motorway, I would have to remember which gears I cant select at certain speeds (first ) and also I would need to know which revs to match it to.
I wish I could keep the auto box but I am almost resigned that its going to fail in the future.

For what its worth I found this advice from a German website:

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/autom...-t2026016.html

One of the posts translates to:

enjoywizo

Ne, is not correct in such a way. The 4-Gang had to be still waited (oil change all 60tkm), with the 5-Gang was according to service schedule the no more planned. In addition the transmission (also the 4-Gang) reacts sensitively to inaccurate air mass and temperature levels. Since these feelers supply unnoticed falsified values with the time, the oil pressure in the transmission is wrongly computed, what increases the wear additionally. The new Tiptronic is thus not more badly - probably however maintenance and above all the air mass measurer (by the way with many Audis slowly steps out).

Recommendation here in the forum:
- ATF changes regularly (best with ZF Dortmund)
- Air mass measurers (LMM) directly along-change (with AUDI in the exchange, approx. 90€)
- Temperature transmitters likewise exchange with each toothed belt change

Then also the 5-Gang holds for a very long time. Automats are built, only evenly not for the eternity quite not if to >400NM lie close.

Greeting

Last edited by Goran; 25th February 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:44 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

If you want to shift your manual box I would be interested.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
If you want to shift your manual box I would be interested.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the offer Conan and Ben, its good to know that someone would buy it.

At the moment I'm thinking about keeping it as a last resort measure, run the auto box to destruction, then go manual rather than fork out £2000 for a auto rebuild.

If only there was some re-engineering solution that could fix the thing in the auto box that fails. Then I could keep the auto box forever
why are Mercedes automatics so reliable?

Ben would you be able to do a manual gearbox conversion on a S8, I'm curious how much it would cost (for the labour)
Thanks

Last edited by Goran; 25th February 2011 at 12:39 PM.

Tags
gearbox service