A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 9th April 2023, 09:44 PM

Not sure I understand the appeal any more TBH, I use my phone for Nav and Music such as Spotify or Digital Radio, combined with an app such as Auto Mate connected to the head unit, I can play anything via my old RNS-D and Google maps or Waze are much better than the original satnav system, the Auto Mate app is very easy to use. It also means my car remains visually original too.

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 10th April 2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Not sure I understand the appeal any more TBH, I use my phone for Nav and Music such as Spotify or Digital Radio, combined with an app such as Auto Mate connected to the head unit, I can play anything via my old RNS-D and Google maps or Waze are much better than the original satnav system, the Auto Mate app is very easy to use. It also means my car remains visually original too.
This +1 .

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 10th April 2023, 03:56 PM
Banned

It's all inferior to Android headunits anyway, with the latest one displaying to fis too.

Last edited by Ronin; 10th April 2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10th April 2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
This +1 .
I have to agree. I was looking at all sorts of head units but didn't want to steer away from the 'original' look of the car. I mount my phone on the front of RNS-D and control it from there.

I am actually looking at utilising an old galaxy or iPad (I have an iPad 2 that would be a good option to jailbreak) as the screen area is a lot bigger.

Did also look at a 'carpuride' option that sits above the dash:

https://youtu.be/VUu1rT2km-g

Ultimately I want a system that is quickly demountable and doesn't interfere with the original look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.jpeg
Views:	508
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	29468  
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 10th April 2023, 08:27 PM

Actually I have to say on this one I have put an RNSE into my Audi A2 and it's excellent.

Mainly for the sound quality is very good indeed and a lot better than some of the double din android ones I have used in the past. They may have more features but the amps are not as good and I got buzzing/ interference at times.

I really like the RNSE and considering they started around 2003 it was way better than the others around, my 2008 Mercedes is not as good for example in operation and interface.

I put Bluetooth into mine and it covers everything I need in a car.

So yes I get Apple CarPlay etc is lovely but a nod from me for the good old RNSE.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--