A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th May 2013, 07:31 AM

Default New boost ideas...

Well, the rear-mount turbo didn't happen, nor traditional turbos, but I have a new idea I'm exploring: the Eaton M122 as found on the Cadillac STS-V. The STS-V had a 90* 4-valve 4.4 litre V8 that produced 470~ hp at 9:1 compression. We of course have a 4.2 5-valve with 11:1 compression in our S8s.

The M122 from the STS is attractive because it is a cheap charger setup, has incorporated Laminova chargecoolers, and is relatively compact.

Currently I can get complete chargers at $700 USD with the chargecoolers. Additionally needed items would be as follows:
Fuel injectors
Coolant pump
heat exchanger
associated hoses, etc.
spacers/adapters
engine tune

All the above listed parts are readily available minus the adapter plates. These would allow the charger to bolt to our heads and also allow for intake port transitions.

Stock Cadillac injectors flow 42 pounds at 3 bar and are high impedance. In order to run off our harness new ends would need to be soldered, otherwise they're fine to use.

Our TB should bolt to this charger as well.

Snout length and belt routing are questions at this point.

Here are pics of the charger and a link to the eBay sale. The seller has roughly 1400 of these. He asks $900 USD but negotiates to roughly $700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharger...p;toolid=10001

BMW folks are already working on this project, I'm just borrowing their engineering. Our engine tuning options are much simpler.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-Get-blown-ITT

All in this could probably be accomplished for ~$3000 USD and have a fairly reliable 450 awhp. Obviously the trans would be an issue, and tuning would be precarious. Head spacers could be produced to drop compression, and may happen if I continue to explore this option. I'd go to 10:1 at lowest to preserve off-boost performance.

All-in-all this could (or will) be the most cost-effective way to boost our engines. The PES kit that's available uses an undersized Eaton M90 head, Motodyne is run by a crook, and I don't think I've seen any other kits other than home-brews. This charger has similar external dimensions to the Eaton M112, but with a greater flow and displacement. The integrated coolers are excellent as well, a great upgrade over more traditional AWIC setups. If ported these chargers are pretty good too, though I don't see it as necessary.

Thoughts, comments, etc., as normal. Also, if anyone else is interested in exploring this with me I'll be ordering a charger soon. I can order multiple and ship to you as well. This could become a good option, much like the Bimmer boys are hoping.
Old 14th May 2013, 08:02 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 14th May 2013, 11:08 AM

Please finish this project
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:43 PM

Here some picture from this idea

https://web.facebook.com/a8d3project/?ref=bookmarks
Old 4th September 2017, 10:23 AM

I have a simpler idea which would reduce weight not add it, and could cost less if you can find a good used engine block.

Adapter plates already exist for the LS series engines to 01E trans.

If you can get a LS3 engine, you can have over 450hp, and over 450 lb-ft torque and keep the system n/a.
Someone already put a LS3 into a RS6 + 01E, should be even easier with a D2 loads of space. LS3 is lighter than AVP/ABZ by around 8kg. On top of that switching to 01E will save another 75kg at least.
Reputable tuning companies have LS3 engines putting out around 580hp, 560lb-ft if you want to go all out later on.

Its a good choice for US guys, as even new LS3's are cheap over there, around $5000. When you translate that to £ and import duties its not so good as it ends up over £5k for us

Last edited by Goran; 4th September 2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:34 AM

On d2 is ok, but on d3 is not.