A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th July 2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Hate it with passion.
Look at all the fingerprints already all over the screen.
It doesn't mater they vibrate and make sound, if you can't physically feel it without looking at them then that's poor.
We can change everything in our cars without looking at the console.
Totally agree.
It's really just a cost-saving measure.

Touchscreens and the like only have a place for functions that you never ever use while driving.
(So really just for passenger controls )

I'd bring back "proper" radio channel preset buttons.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 14th July 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:39 PM

Oh the old radios, so simple and never going wrong.

It's bloody unsafe same as using touchscreen or any phone during driving. Their excuse is that you can control most of it from steering wheel and voice control, but thats not me for sure.
I understand that they have to follow the competition and all that and only some would like the touch functions, ANY real driver would prefer real buttons and knobs

D4 S8 is as far as I will go, but after 3 attempts already I still can't get over the fact that there is no V10 under the hood.

I've looked into newish Maseratis as well
Week ago went to have a look at couple of Granturismos.
I'm not that tech orientated, big engine, loud, quality interior with plenty of buttons and heritage as well.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 25th August 2017, 11:55 AM

'B&O 3D Advanced Sound System' in the D5.

1,920w amp, 23 speakers including 4 in the headlining.

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 8th September 2017, 11:44 AM

On Audi's site now..
https://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a8/a...pc=p1111532507
DO NOT WANT.
Old 8th September 2017, 11:52 AM

Agree...

don't like the new grille
don't like all the touchscreen sh*te
don't like the interior styling - its a bit contrived
don't like the overall proportions of the car
don't like the size of the wheels (even if fitting bigger ones its still off)
and... steering wheel is gash
Old 8th September 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Agree...

don't like the new grille
don't like all the touchscreen sh*te
don't like the interior styling - its a bit contrived
don't like the overall proportions of the car
don't like the size of the wheels (even if fitting bigger ones its still off)
and... steering wheel is gash
I concur. Although each time I see it in photos, it grows on me, it just looks a bit like Knight Rider’s K.I.T.T. too much, interior specifically.

How is it in the flesh, from those who’ve seen it?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 8th September 2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
I concur. Although each time I see it in photos, it grows on me, it just looks a bit like Knight Rider’s K.I.T.T. too much, interior specifically.

How is it in the flesh, from those who’ve seen it?
It's a lot better in the flesh than in the photo's that I had seen but I had similar concerns about finger prints, the size of the wheel arch gap and the steering wheel didn't seem as bad when you were there with it strangely!

The car looked a lot lower bonnet and boot-wise and more sporty (apart from the silly wheel arch gaps) and the build quality was superb, better than I had hoped. The size of the boot felt more like back to D3 depths again (possibly even taller height wise but with a slightly narrower dimension between the wheel arches) and room inside didnt feel any smaller than a D3 LWB in the front or rear.

Overall I was optimistic, but would want to drive one for a weekend as a fuller test really as I have tried to do in the past

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th September 2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
It's a lot better in the flesh than in the photo's that I had seen but I had similar concerns about finger prints, the size of the wheel arch gap and the steering wheel didn't seem as bad when you were there with it strangely!

The car looked a lot lower bonnet and boot-wise and more sporty (apart from the silly wheel arch gaps) and the build quality was superb, better than I had hoped. The size of the boot felt more like back to D3 depths again (possibly even taller height wise but with a slightly narrower dimension between the wheel arches) and room inside didnt feel any smaller than a D3 LWB in the front or rear.

Overall I was optimistic, but would want to drive one for a weekend as a fuller test really as I have tried to do in the past
Thanks for that. Good news about build quality. I guess the interior is the new norm, but just doesn’t sit right with a lot of people me included.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:01 AM

Priced from £69,100. Deliveries early 2018.

4.0-litre TDI coming soon after the launch, as well as the 6.0-litre W12 (not the 6.3-litre?)

http://www.newspress.co.uk/public/Vi...p;pr_ref=37524
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:00 PM

The more I see it, the more it grows on me.

I don't mind the internal or external looks, as always they both seem colour dependent and the link Snapdragon supplied makes it look ok to my simple eye!

However like most I am not a fan of touchscreen in cars. It can be a shocker when in direct sunlight and quite distracting.

I noticed on a TV advert for a French car brand the other day the USP was a (web) cam in the mirror for posting photos on social media! Not even a mention of engine etc.

One day the A8 will have a 1.0 3 cylinder engine but will be able to book you a leg wax and beat you at candy crush.

...."The driver will no longer need to monitor the car permanently, and will be able to take their hands off the steering wheel for prolonged periods and, depending on the national laws, focus on a different activity that is supported by the car, such as watching the on-board TV. As soon as the system reaches its limits, it will call on the driver to take back control of the task of driving".

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!

Last edited by Audidothat; 3rd October 2017 at 12:02 PM.