A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 17th September 2017, 06:43 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
My thoughts exactly. When I handed the car to Michaela I thought that she was going to just "repair" the car to fix the issues that were reported when it went for a recent service.
How wrong I was. I didn't really appreciate her work ethic when chatting to her about the car. This is more like a restoration. Looks like no stone is unturned. It seems that she doesn't want to let a car out of her workshop unless she was 100% happy with it as if it were her own.
Which is exactly what you need; not just the visible faults repaired but every potential issue dealt with preventively.

Done properly now, it should want for nothing (except an occasional service) for years to come.

Looking forward to seeing it completed!

Will you be able to make it to next year's annual meet Dean, so that we can see this stunning car and its (soon to be) sparkling clean engine bay in the flesh?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 17th September 2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 17th September 2017, 08:03 PM

It has definitely turned in to a restoration. I didn't know quite how deep this particular rabbit hole went until I jumped in and found it was more like the Deepwater Horizon I reckon I'm going to have about 100 hours in to this one by the time its done, rather than the 30-40 I estimated before I got it back.

Finally started making a collection of nice clean bits to go back together

250 gloves, a gallon of brake cleaner, a gallon of degreaser, half a dozen cans of carb cleaner and 4 cans of contact cleaner. So far...

Best order a couple of caliper rebuild kits too then. Bugger.

Old 17th September 2017, 08:13 PM

A great way to spend Sunday then MJ! Good effort.
And Mark, Dean will have NO CHOICE except to be there at next Junes meet. We will all want to see the completed work.
Old 18th September 2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Pretty much the only seal which wasn't leaking is the rear main, which is a bonus cos its quite expensive!
Would it not be better to change it anyway while in there. If it's anything like 2.5TDI seal which the dealer only sell complete with cover for about £90 but for 2.5TDI you can aftermarket seal only for about £10.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th September 2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Would it not be better to change it anyway while in there. If it's anything like 2.5TDI seal which the dealer only sell complete with cover for about £90 but for 2.5TDI you can aftermarket seal only for about £10.
Great minds... I was looking at it yesterday and thought "that looks the same as this Victor Reinz 2.5TDI seal which I have on the shelf" and indeed it is
Old 18th September 2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
A great way to spend Sunday then MJ! Good effort.
And Mark, Dean will have NO CHOICE except to be there at next Junes meet. We will all want to see the completed work.
Yes, Mark & David. That would be the plan.
The intention was to be there this year as well as at a couple of other shows/meets but as you can tell, the red car was in need of some TLC first of all. She drove OK (with the light steering, fluttering engine at lower revs and a noisy exhaust) but she would have made it there and back. But I would have got some odd looks if I had attended.

I did go to AITP in the blue A8 and met Roberto with his white D3, but that was the limit of getting out this year.

So assuming the car makes it through the winter without being written off then I intend to be out and about showing her off with a grin on my face

I'll have a look at next year's meet thread now to see what the score is.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 21st September 2017, 04:33 PM

Not much to photograph so far this week as I've spent most of my time sourcing parts and figuring out solutions to obsolete things like 2002 2.8 radiator hoses Still it has paid off to an extent...

I'm going to quite enjoy reassembling all this lot. Yes, I know there's something wrong with me

Some gearbox pics later hopefully
Old 21st September 2017, 07:46 PM

There's nothing wrong with you Michaela, just wish that I still had the "get up and go" that I had as a young 'un.
I'm sticking to my woodwork at the moment, just started making a printer stand that won't look too terrible alongside Gwen's oak dining room sideboard. I know, she'll kill me for installing a printer there when they let her out of hospital.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 21st September 2017, 07:51 PM

That looks an expensive pile of parts MJ! When a 60cm curved plastic arm for the headlight sensor cost c£50 then that lot could add up to a few quid. Dean must be biting his nails. Look forward to the next installment of pictures
Old 21st September 2017, 08:38 PM

Ok gearbox stuff - how to change all the output seals on a 5HP24a or 5HP19FLA.

These are what we need - same parts for either gearbox:

01V 409 399 front right
01L 409 399 front left
018 409 399B rear for non-updated flange
SKF 6007C3 bearing from Simply Bearings

If you have the updated flange, the rear seal is 01V 409 399A. This is the difference between the two (018 on the left):

As we know, it doesn't seem to make much difference which you have - they both leak eventually. Given that the updated flange is £250-odd, fit the seal to suit the flange you have.

This one has been leaking for a while!

The flange just unbolts with a T40 torx and slides out. It might need some percussive encouragement! Covered in baked-on oil!

The rear seal is pretty simple - pop it out, press the new one in, bolt the flange back in and top up with oil.

The front right seal is much the same - a T40 bolt in the middle and it slides out.

Pop the seal out

Press the new one in

Use a couple of bolts and a bar to hold the flange still - this works for the rear one too.

The left seal is a little more involved. It comes out with the bearing housing and a shaft which goes through the gearbox to the diff. Remove three T40 bolts and it will push itself out as there is a spring in the end. If you did the right side first, most of the oil will already have drained out.

This is the shaft assembly

There's a circlip to remove to get the shaft out

You could press this out, but I don't actually have a press so I use a vice and a BFH With the alloy mounting flange sitting on the vice jaws and the steel output flange between the jaws, a good whack on the end with the BFH will have the shaft out in a moment.

Both parts separated:

Clean the oil off the shaft and stick it in the freezer. More on that in a bit.

Now you can get to the oil seal and pop that out

Drift the bearing out

The original bearing is an SKF 6007C3. 6007 is a standard size. C3 has larger internal clearances to allow operation at high speed / temperature - perfect for gearboxes.

Clean up the housing in the parts washer, then press the new oil seal in

Flip it over and press the bearing in. This taps in easily with a rubber hammer.

Speedo sensor back in the housing, and the shaft nice and cold (I left it for 2 hours while I did some other jobs) and its ready to reassemble

I forgot to get a pic of the next bit, but with the bearing side down & sitting on the vice, put the shaft back in and with a bit of BFH action it drops back in to the bearing. With the shaft nice and cold it takes much less effort to get it back in than was required to get it out. You could of course use a press instead of a BFH

This is with it pressed back in

Circlip back on and the assembly is complete again

Bolt it back in to the gearbox and its done

I'll re-fill both diffs with oil once its attached to the engine & gearbox jig so its properly level.

Since the gearbox is working nicely, the sump isn't leaking, and the ATF is in good condition, we're leaving that alone for now. I'll just top it up once everything is back together and a full fluid change can be a job for the sucky-pumpy-squirty machine at some point in the future.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 21st September 2017 at 08:44 PM.