A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 2nd April 2016, 01:55 PM

So, do you think a carefully positioned full bottle of water resting on the seat switches could be the cause!?

Wondered why the seat position was so far off this morning...could barely get in the driving seat.

Wonder also if the motor is now screwed .....
Old 2nd April 2016, 01:58 PM

Naaah. Surely there is an "end of travel" micro-switch that will cut power to the motor when it reaches its end-stop?
Old 2nd April 2016, 02:01 PM

good shout, but kinda hoping there isnt and this is the root cause!

rac man here shortly, will hopefully get a load test on the battery and see whats what.
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:04 PM

Just tested, motors stop at limit with buttons held down, but presumably there is still some drain from the control circuit. Should be minimal though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd April 2016, 06:17 PM

thanks for that, time to look elsewhere.

RAC man come and gone - suggest battery is ok, however a possible large drain detected. Unsure if this was because the car hadnt gone into sleep/shutdown mode when the test was started (how long does it take to go into shutdown mode?)

Comments Suspected Diagnosis:
battery flat - charging/starting system tested ok. advise 40min drive to charge and 24hr trickle charge to
fully recover battery.
no load drain above acceptable limit after 5mins, advise further investigation at garage asap.
Battery Test Results
Battery Test
Battery Manufacturer: BOSCH
Rating of battery tested: 720EN
Chemistry of battery tested: FLOODED
Rated Ah of battery tested: 90
Smart charge: No
Battery Test Results
Time: 02/04/2016 14:55
Temperature: 22.2°C
Measured voltage: 2.61Volts
Measured rating: 202EN
State of health: 40%
State of charge: 0%
Test Result: Good Recharge
System Test
Jump pack used:Yes
Starter Avg voltage: 8.03Volts
Starter Avg current: 173.9Amps
Starter result decision: Charge Battery
Alternator voltage (unloaded): 14.02Volts
Alternator voltage (loaded): 13.56Volts
Alternator current (unloaded): 22.7Amps
Alternator current (loaded): 17.2Amps
Charge acceptance test performed: Yes
Diode decision: Normal
Alternator test decision: Norma
l
First drain test voltage: 2.61Volts
First drain test current: 0.1Amps
Second drain test voltage: 12.06Volts
Second drain test current: -0.9Amps
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:16 PM

I've got pics of mine in a fairly heavily dismantled condition to access the battery! Boot side trim off and moved to the centre and trim by boot catch removed too

I didn't feel confident keeping everything out the way on reassembly without stripping it that far and it dropped in very easily.

A helping pair of hands or HP's approach would be alternatives but getting it out single handed would be a struggle through that tiny hole

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:57 PM

I'd suggest you check the state of the positve feed 'junction box' where the wire splits and feeds the alternator and starter motor. This is located on the O/S chassis leg as is a troublesome earth lead, which can also cause problems. I havn't got any photos of these parts, perhaps others can assist, but I know that just these two connections/wires can wreak havoc when they become corroded.
Old 3rd April 2016, 08:10 AM

Pics of battery compartment access:

Note that tail light removal is not required! I happened to be in there doing that a couple of weeks before the battery died....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4609.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	12964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4608.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	12965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	12966  

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:00 AM

All looks very familiar. Pretty sure I swapped over OK without removing the side trim though, but it looks like it would make it a lot easier.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green A8 View Post
I'd suggest you check the state of the positve feed 'junction box' where the wire splits and feeds the alternator and starter motor. This is located on the O/S chassis leg as is a troublesome earth lead, which can also cause problems. I havn't got any photos of these parts, perhaps others can assist, but I know that just these two connections/wires can wreak havoc when they become corroded.
thanks, I will. I did get (ask) the garage to do this during the first service in my ownership last year however worth checking again.

Battery undergoing a full recondition charge on the ctek - should be done later this afternoon, however unsure I'll get time to follow Dels procedure that he kindly uploaded.