A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th September 2017, 10:48 AM

Default Route advice please

Tuesday evening I am driving out of the centre of Manchester (a city I am not familiar with) and have to be in Nottingham by 18:30.

Looking at google maps it looks like either via Buxton or down & around the Peak District.?.... Any local advice on the best route (scenery aside!!!)?

Will 1.5 hours be enough either way?

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 10th September 2017, 12:52 PM

I'd be tempted to head west on the M56, after the airport follow the signs for M6 South along the new road to junction 19 on the M6.
Head south to junction 15 and head north east on the A 500.
Turn right and head East on the A50, past Uttoxeter and Derby onto the A52 into Nottingham.
Any road out of Manchester at that time could be heavy going but Stockport Road southwards would be horrendous.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 10th September 2017, 01:22 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Local advice from me would be to avoid Manchester in the first place! I hate driving into Manchester (or most cities for that matter). I've even turned down work in the past just because it was in or close to the city. I think it was all the years of working in Manchester and London when I was younger ... hate cities now.

I think you're going to need to allow at least 2 hours; 2.5 hours to be on the safe side, allowing for heavy-ish traffic. Ray's route suggestion would probably be best, time-wise. If you have more time and you prefer a more scenic route, Woodhead (the A628) is a good alternative. It would also give you a little preview of the area that is likely to be the host of next year's annual meet
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 10th September 2017, 02:04 PM

Default Better of two routes

There's not much in it between going east via the M67 and then south on the M1 (as Google recommends here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ma...701,-2.0797385, or following Ray's suggestion. Personally, I'd take the former - it's a nicer drive, and less chance of a minor accident having a major impact on your journey time - the M6 south between Manchester and Stafford is just one permanent set of road works, which are typically worse at the weekend, so if you enjoy the pleasure of driving at all, then I'd avoid that.

Given that you're aiming to be in Nottingham for 6.30pm on Tuesday, I'd definitely favour the M67/M1 route - the M6 south from 3pm can be at a standstill for over an hour - on my last two trips south at that time Google (correctly) diverted me onto A roads, and it took over 2 and 1/2 hours just to get to Birmingham.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 10th September 2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:11 PM

My mum lives in new mills and from there to chesterfield is stunning scenery, Buxton is also pretty itself but if your going to Nottingham I'd go Stockport > new mills > chesterfield > m1 down

Going over the peaks is stunning
Old 11th September 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
My mum lives in new mills and from there to chesterfield is stunning scenery, Buxton is also pretty itself but if your going to Nottingham I'd go Stockport > new mills > chesterfield > m1 down

Going over the peaks is stunning
Except the A6 stretch through Stockport to Hazel Grove which is without a shadow of doubt the worst stretch of road in the country (IMO..) - slow, stressful, busy, noisy, smelly, ugly, and full of drivers who either:
(a) want to turn right with little notice and make everyone behind wait or
(b) do the same at the kerb with the same effect.
After which you need the scenery to recover from the trauma - though to be fair, it's not that long a stretch of road....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 13th September 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12th September 2017, 05:42 AM

Yeah, there can be a few dodgy sections but I loved going through the peaks in my cabriolet with the roof down, it was lovely, the undulations in the road really help elevate your field of view. I once went down the buxom way and avoided chesterfield, also nice but not the same wide expanse view
Old 12th September 2017, 12:05 PM

Another option is through Stockport and then jump the A523 to Macc and Leek and then the A52 through Ashbourne to Nottingham. Not as twisty as going through the Peak District although the towns can get clogged at times!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 13th September 2017, 04:47 PM

Thanks all for the advice, worked well. I went out of Manchester (via tunnels under the airport I think) , got on a lovely new road to the M6 and then down to the A500.

Driving around Nottingham one-way system in rush hour was nil fun!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 13th September 2017, 05:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
got on a lovely new road to the M6
Ah, the new A556 bypass!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-39183315

I unintentionally found myself on that a couple of months ago. Confused the hell out of my old RNS-D sat-nav, which seemed to think I was off-roading.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust