A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 24th May 2016, 09:53 AM

Default Battery suggestions - 4.2FSI

Hi chaps

What are your recommendations for a new battery? Any good places to buy?

Cheers
Christer
Old 24th May 2016, 10:01 AM

Depends on the spec of the original battery - if it's 110Ah I'd stick to oem and push for the best price you can get from TPS. I bought one for the S5 not so long ago and none of the other producers were offering a battery with the right spec and the price difference was less than 20 quid

You'll need access to vcds to code the new battery to the car

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 24th May 2016, 10:17 AM

As ECP has 25% off as of now, I'd buy the Bosch S5 from them for £117

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/ac...008&0&cc5_1026

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 24th May 2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 24th May 2016, 11:46 AM

After a disappointing experience with a Varta i1 - a couple of years ago in an emergency, I went with a LION AGM from ECP.
It was £134 with a voucher code and it is much better and takes deep discarges that the A8 does from time to time in it's stride.
This battery is £128 now with the HOLIDAY25 code.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Au...65a45bd&000020

I used the coding 000915105CE which is for 95Ah AGM - not sure if earlier BEMs accept this code but mine (2006) did (got the code from a later model with stop start).
Only thing I might add is buy one locally so you can return it yourself if there is a problem, otherwise you risk having to post a 20KG battery which is classed as hazardous and costs about £60 unless you have an account with UPS or similar. Of course they will probably say no fault found and you will have to pay postage back to you or tell them to stuff it.

Last edited by snapdragon; 24th May 2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 24th May 2016, 01:41 PM

I've always used either Varta or Bosch batteries, they've been excellent on all my cars.

I currently have a Varta i1 in the Audi.

2008 Audi S8
Old 24th May 2016, 04:41 PM

Yuasa battery on mine, the biggest that will fit, been great and due to lack of use recently, it can be a month or more and it'll still start up, it's also been discharged a couple of times and been fine with it, think the specs are better than most and cheaper too.
Old 24th May 2016, 09:49 PM

My thoughts are that OEM (Dealer/TPS) will come with a 2 year warranty, and that can sometimes be difficult if not "professionally installed".

Most 3rd not OEM suppliers you will get ~5 years warranty, including ECP and Halfords, if you get the right spec you will be fine.

Of course I expect the life of the battery will be 5 years and a day in any case
Old 24th May 2016, 10:11 PM

Thanks guys, I have seen the ECP discount - the recommended one from them when I enter my car details is LION - which I didn't know - I usually buy Bosch.

Appreciate the replies, I will need to get my mechaincs to do the coding anyway so will ask them what their best price for Bosch S5 is and take it from there.

Christer
Old 25th May 2016, 07:15 AM

Just to add I've got a Yuasa in my D2 from halfords with 5 yr warranty but i have a trade card so got a chunky discount. That only requires a 95Ah which is readily available. Nobody I'm aware of does a 110Ah if that's what you have now, except the OEM. From memory our OEM battery is Varta manufactured

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th May 2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post

I used the coding 000915105CE which is for 95Ah AGM - not sure if earlier BEMs accept this code but mine (2006) did (got the code from a later model with stop start).
you shouldnt need to change the coding, just use the drop down to pick the battery make or the nearest you can get and the Amps, but change a digit on the serial number so it recognises its a new unit
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom