A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 6th April 2016, 06:43 PM

Default What brakes discs for better performance?

Hey chaps.
My brakes are starting to look like i wanna upgrade the discs and pads. Now I would ideally love ceramics however given the cost to buy the setup i cant justify the money so what other options are there?
Zimmerman, brembo, anything else?
I want drilled but not grooved, i have them on my st and the noise winds me up to be honest so happy with just drilled.
Also what pad to mate to them? Something with brilliant bite and no fade would be good. I wanna be able to have my lungs hit the windscreen under harsh braking should i need it.
I dont want to see rust though the wheels so no steel rubbish.
Cheers muchly
Old 6th April 2016, 08:46 PM

Drilled are known for cracking, but the newer c hook grooved discs that reduce the noise grately but still give you the benefits of grooved discs, quite a few manufacturers are taking up this kind of design now so just choose someone reputable, iirc the ebc discs I fitted had a good coating on them to stop the corrosion on the bells.

I guess yellow stuff pads of ferodo ds pads will be a good choice.

I can't see on the mobile view what car you own but the best option is to fit the biggest brakes you can get under the wheels from another model before updating pads and discs.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:45 PM

I had ATE discs and pads fitted to mine, after considerable help from Marcin (M-A8) and they've been great so far. They'll need a spray from time to time to maintain their looks but as far as performance goes, I can't fault them. I had a "stick or go" situation a few nights ago and before I'd made my mind up the car was stationary. Unless you're looking at track days or want something cosmetically pleasing then I'd go no further

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 6th April 2016, 09:53 PM

I fitted a set of Zimmerman discs to the rear of the A8 a couple of years ago and no problems to date

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 7th April 2016, 04:23 AM

[/quote]I can't see on the mobile view what car you own but the best option is to fit the biggest brakes you can get under the wheels from another model before updating pads and discs.[/quote]

I have a 2006 S8 5.2 v10.

Last edited by Rick; 7th April 2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 7th April 2016, 10:23 AM

They're the biggest brakes you can get (385F/335R)unless you upgrade to Bentley, Lambo or RS6 Ceramics.