A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th April 2016, 05:19 PM

Default Car dealers do my head in

This week on Friday I bought a 3 month old VW Toerag from a main dealer. And the next day (Saturday), my son bought himself a 2009 BMW 335 from a non franchised forecourt.
These two purchases were proceeded by about 8 weeks of searching, and checking adverts.
It is astonishing just how clueless the car world is about marketing, and how almost impossible it is to discover what a car comes with.
They might mention 'Cruise' but rarely that this is actually ACC (which was a must for me). I've seen countless photo's of cars, but few really informative ones. Its like they know which bit you need to see and then ensure its missing from the picture. Some walk up to wherever the cars parked and fire off a couple of shots from the front or back and nothing else. One even had an SQ5 (on my possible list too) and it was covered, and I mean liberally smothered in what looked like bird sh1t. Copious amounts of it. Another person photographed theirs with a massive caravan sitting behind it. I don't know about you but I don't want to be buying anything that's been towing anything, never mind that gargantuan monstrosity in their advert. They then thoughtfully clarified any doubts by including a close up of the much worn and abused tow bar ball.
It has been hell tracking down the right motors, but we've finally succeeded. Now I can close all those tabs, cancel all the alerts and resume normality, until next time.
Roll on Tuesday when we pick up the Touareg. Sadly Ann will be the one driving it back (It is her car after all, and I won't have a proper chance to play with ACC, Side assist, Lane departure, heated this, automatic that and wifi (whats the point in car wifi?) until some time in May or perhaps June. Sob.
Thank you for bearing with this heartfelt whinge

BTW The BMW 335 with DSG is a revelation, and the noise!!! Its a banshee.
I've found idrive more intuitive and more detailed than MMI. Lovely car. I quite fancy one........ Aaaargh! can't face the thought of another search
Old 10th April 2016, 05:38 PM

Sounds like you've had quite a weekend. Now go and have a nice lie down...
Old 10th April 2016, 05:40 PM

Having recently experienced the same troubles, I feel your pain.

Congratulations on your purchases!

2008 Audi S8
Old 10th April 2016, 05:44 PM

I only have to wait till Tuesday. You have a whole week before picking yours up. You'l be dreaming about it by tomorrow, but be happy because the reality is even better
Old 10th April 2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I've found idrive more intuitive and more detailed than MMI
A good friend of mine chose a Beemer after years of Audi company cars, he's loving the tech that BMW offer

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 10th April 2016, 09:32 PM

The weird thing with the Beemers, at least these 335's, is that you can specify them without idrive, and the number of people who do exactly that. It's well worth having, in fact I say its a, must have and brilliant system that Audi could learn from. And the DSG gearbox.... Phenomenal. Plus it has two levels of sport mode. launch and catapult, with noticeably faster and increasingly savage gearchanges. Its a lot of fun
Old 19th April 2016, 05:00 AM

Having purchased a car for my wife in January and again recently purchased my A8 in the last month I completely know what you mean.

My wife has a Fiat Stilo Abarth; it's a proper cheeky Italian hot hatch I love it to bits but blimey was it hard work.

I went to look at one about 40 minutes away from me - only to get there and the dealer tell me sorry mate I left it at home.... facepalm. I asked some questions about it anyway and it's apparently in great condition had some good money spent on it blah blah so arranged to go back and look at the next day. Get back to see it, there is a massive dent in one rear corner, split rear light and bumper, cheap ass window tints cracking up, the interior looked like a ripspeed catalogue and it wouldn't even start - just said loose connection and refused to do anything! Told him his car was so great I thought he should keep it.

Next nearest is a car in Nottingham, a couple of hours from me. Rings dealer up and asked to come and see it - yes no problem, told him what time I'd be there and set off.

Get there and he wasn't even in, he'd gone out to lunch, despite knowing when I'd be there. When he finally arrives back the car had a flat battery. Like come on you knew I was coming to see this car! Then on test drive the entire instrument cluster does not work and it miss fires like hell. At it's advertised as an excellent clean and well driving car.... urgh!

Even when buying this A8; I was initially looked for an S4 went to view one that was supposedly in good condition well taken care of clean car, only to get there and find the lacquer peeling on the rear corner and the roof rail on passenger side rusted out across it's entire length. Again the thing was filthy as well even though the chap had 48 hours notice I was coming to see it!

I'm thankful that eBay did it's usual you might be interested in / other items nearby thing which popped up the A8 that I now own.
Old 19th April 2016, 07:08 AM

Had the same experience buying my Infiniti. Spotted one online in Birmingham at an independent dealer....... bear in mind I'm in Belfast so it's a flight and hire car to see it.
Car described as clean, fsh etc etc etc. Turned up to find a filthy car, badly kerbed alloys. No v5 no books, no history. Walked away
Came back home and happened to be on gumtree the following Saturday and found the one i now own about 15 miles up the road

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 19th April 2016, 12:18 PM

Hi There,

It does seem to be the dealers tricks these days. Tag as many buzzwords and get as many people to look at it as possible, rather than accurately describe something....It's ebay views culture gone mad!

First To See Will Buy - Don't make me laugh!!!

Lee
Old 19th April 2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
and wifi (whats the point in car wifi?)
So you can 'tweet' on the move innit