A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 25th June 2018, 10:06 AM

Default A brother from another mother.

This heavy, steel bodied thing parked next to me. Anyone had any experience of the Phaeton, would be interesting to see how they compare to the 8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	880AA176-BFD6-43DD-8F73-A1EC45E6CB42.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	19627  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 25th June 2018, 12:06 PM

Phaeton was built side by side in the factory with the Bentley Flying Spur. Aluminium was Audi's thing so it is quite a bit heavier than the A8, as you say.

I've always had a niggling temptation to go for the V10 TDI Phaeton if the right one came up. There is a lurrrrvly LWB one just come up for sale. LWB ones are pretty rare, V10 diesels are even rarer, and LWB V10 diesel 4-seaters with the rear centre console and almost fully spec'd are incredibly rare. It's getting close to being able to count the amount of 4-seater ones left on one hand.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ize=5.0&page=1

In my eyes, that is the 'right one' but the mileage is making me uncomfortable. I'm going to go and have a look at it this week though.

As far as the diesels go, early ones are pre-DPF which straight away eliminates certain issues, but some expensive problems can pop up such as new turbos, diesel injectors and suspension air struts. The air struts are all linked as well so I think I'm right in saying they all have to be replaced at once.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 25th June 2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 25th June 2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Phaeton was built side by side in the factory with the Bentley Flying Spur. Aluminium was Audi's thing so it is quite a bit heavier than the A8, as you say.

I've always had a niggling temptation to go for the V10 TDI Phaeton if the right one came up. There is a lurrrrvly LWB one just come up for sale. LWB ones are pretty rare, V10 diesels are even rarer, and LWB V10 diesel 4-seaters with the rear centre console and almost fully spec'd are incredibly rare. It's getting close to being able to count the amount of 4-seater ones left on one hand.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ize=5.0&page=1

In my eyes, that is the 'right one' but the mileage is making me uncomfortable. I'm going to go and have a look at it this week though.

As far as the diesels go, early ones are pre-DPF which straight away eliminates certain issues, but some expensive problems can pop up such as new turbos, diesel injectors and suspension air struts. The air struts are all linked as well so I think I'm right in saying they all have to be replaced at once.
That does look very good. 5L, 10 cylinders, what’s not to like? The interior isn’t to my liking, but that one is about as nice as they get. Do it!!!!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 25th June 2018, 01:51 PM

I wouldn't worry about 137k on that engine, assuming it's had what it's needed. Probably another 300k left on it at least.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 25th June 2018, 02:52 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've looked at Phaetons in the past. But having had a few 8s now, for me, a steel bodied car just seems like a step backwards.

A VW badge on a high-end luxury vehicle just doesn't seem right either.

It'd be like .... oh, I dunno ... putting your Marks and Spencer's shopping in a Lidl carrier bag. When, clearly, this is the right way round to do it ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lidl.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	622.1 KB
ID:	19628

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 25th June 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've looked at Phaetons in the past. But having had a few 8s now, for me, a steel bodied car just seems like a step backwards.

A VW badge on a high-end luxury vehicle just doesn't seem right either.

It'd be like .... oh, I dunno ... putting your Marks and Spencer's shopping in a Lidl carrier bag. When, clearly, this is the right way round to do it ...

Attachment 19628

Ha ha ha ha ha. I can neither confirm, nor deny where the said bag or shopping is from.

The aluminium did bring me to my previous car (A2) and now my A8, and the extra weight and potential for rust does indeed seem a step backwards. Still, I am drawn to them. A bit.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 25th June 2018, 03:38 PM

Every question you could ever imagine asking is listed in this thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...AQ-by-Category)
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 25th June 2018, 06:55 PM

I had a look at one before I bought my A8. I've always liked the look of them (the facelifted ones less so).

Good bits:
I think they look elegant
19" Helios wheels
Interior is well-made and sound system was good
Double glazed too, IIRC.

Bad bits:
Much heavier than the A8

Ugly bit:
They used aluminium strips around the windows on top of the doors and they react with the steel on the door tops, causing the paint to "Blow". Not sealed away from each other properly. There were instances where VW replaced all the doors under warranty but as this is an inherent design flaw, how long etc... The one I saw had bubbles on the tops of all the doors and on the boot handle (which I've seen on A8's too).

You might get one which has been done properly but keep an eye out for it. Shame, it put me off the car as it'd be a Forth Bridge job keeping on top of it.

Last edited by J i m s t e r; 25th June 2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 26th June 2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J i m s t e r View Post
it'd be a Forth Bridge job keeping on top of it.
Oh I don't know - the new paint on the Forth bridge is supposed to be good for 50 years

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)