A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 7th December 2019, 09:55 AM

Default Weird start/non-start problem - help needed

I have a suspicion what this might be but don't know enough...…
Started the S8 this morning, no problem, even though it hasn't been used for a couple of weeks. Let it run while I checked the tyres - one has a very slow leak yet to be fixed.

Went out, stopped to post some Xmas cards, got back in the car and it wouldn't start. Lights on as normal but no action whatsoever from the starter.
Bit of a panic as I was on a mainish road and half-blocking the driveway next to the post box!
Somehow by moving the gearlever and operating the key it suddenly started so I went back home.

Turned off, removed key and tried to start - no starter action, not even a click.
Moved the gearstick to different positions and tried again, still didn't start.
Then I kept my foot on the brake AND the key turned to start and began moving the gear lever around and it fired up.
I think it was as I was moving from D to N that the starter kicked in. The engine actually started in a fraction of a second as it usually does.

So I'm guessing this is something to do with safety circuits (and switches?) ensuring you can only start the car in P or N.
But how to I check, confirm and rectify whatever is going on? Thanks in advance for any advice.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th December 2019, 11:00 AM

Sounds like... F125!

This is the same problem Neil had when the neutral lockout terminal fell off inside the switch - there is a relay in the starter solenoid circuit which is only activated in P or N, otherwise disconnects the solenoid.

It can be bypassed by a bit of chunky wire and some 6.3mm flat terminals if you're unable to get it to a garage to swap the F125 - basically the same configuration as a manual car. There might be a pic in my manual swap thread.

Don't throw the old switch away as I can usually refurbish them if its just a burned or bad contact (like most of them). Not so much if the contact has actually come adrift though like Neil's did.

Whoever designed that stupid switch has a lot to answer for
Old 7th December 2019, 12:14 PM

Oh dear, it's not that long since I had the F125 replaced.

Where do I need to access to bypass it, is it inside the car, engine bay or underneath? and how easy is it?

I'll plug in VCDS sometime to see what that shows, if anything, but I've got other more important things on my plate at the moment (ask Neil!) so the S8 will probably be just parked for a while.

PS I've also still got the old F125 somewhere, I opened it up and took some photos then fitted it together again with some reusable screws/nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It can be bypassed by a bit of chunky wire and some 6.3mm flat terminals if you're unable to get it to a garage to swap the F125 - basically the same configuration as a manual car. There might be a pic in my manual swap thread.
Had a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious (to me).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th December 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 7th December 2019, 03:54 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Is it possible that your gearstick movements merely coincided with the intermittency of the fault? I've had starter motor faults that resulted in similar, seemingly random behaviour.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th December 2019, 05:33 PM

I don't think so, I had the key twisted into start position and held it there with no "click" of the relay.
As soon as I moved the stick it started.
Old 7th December 2019, 07:42 PM

If the F125 checks out, have you checked the main battery cable on the drivers side chassis? When that corrodes out you have power to everything but no starter action. If it’s getting crusty (damp and salt won’t be helping at the moment) it might start causing intermittent no start?

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 7th December 2019, 09:30 PM

Also check if yours has had the recall done for a slipping park interlock cable - if there's no fault codes suggesting F125 it'd be worth checking....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th December 2019, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the input folks, I'll not rule any of them out.
But right now MJs F125 theory fits the symptoms way better.

And I investigated that recall Adrian, ages ago, and I'm quite sure it's not relevant to my car. Nor does it match the symptoms.

Right now I really would like to know more about bypassing the F125 starter solenoid lock...…..
Old 7th December 2019, 10:51 PM

I don't appear to have a photo of it unfortunately. Its J207 which Elsawin claims is top left in the relay panel in the footwell. I remember it being more in the middle of that panel tbh. The manual has a jumper between pins 2 and 8 per this diagram:

I used some 2.5mm wire and some 6.3mm terminals to bridge 2 & 8. The factory one is a bent bit of copper, but I have no idea what the number is so just made my own.

If you jump power to pin 8 it will spin the starter which might be diagnostically useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	j207.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	22499  
Old 7th December 2019, 11:01 PM

Late at night and just been sampling 27 and 36 year old whiskies, but that looks good.
I'll investigate further tomorrow.

Do you remove the relay and put the jumper in or need both?

Also I can't recall the layout there, is that the main panel under the "board" under the passengers feet, or the section that I think is above it?

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th December 2019 at 11:08 PM.