A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Common Faults

D2 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 29th May 2010, 04:33 PM

Default D2 Wiper issues investigation

This is not a how to guide, its an investigation into a possible cause of the wiper failure on D2 A8's. Please don't use/treat this as a how to as it isn't a comprehensive strip and rebuild guide, its just the steps I followed to try find out what is happening.

I'll start with the wiper assembly already removed from the car. I found this quite simple to remove, just a collection of 10mm bolts and 2, 13mm nuts holding the wiper arms on. It's a bit of a squeeze getting the assembly past the wing and some care is required to prevent the paint from getting scratched. I also had to remove the bonnet strut and support the bonnet independantly to get the unit out.

Next I removed the "c" clip holding the spindle in place (location circled) This has to be done very carefully to prevent it pinging off into oblivion, under which you should find a washer and "o" ring (all arrowed) that hold it all together and in the case of the "o" ring keeps the elements out as the spindle is exposed to the weather under the wiper arms. I next applied gentle pressure to slide the spindle from its bushing, I was careful here to prevent damage and so the spindle didn't fall out and get damaged.

And as you can see the drivers spindle is in rude health with a thin film of grease present and its nice and shiny, you should also find a small shim washer (arrowed) that I assume acts as a slide for the spindle during operation to prevent it burring up.

On to the passenger side and OH NO!.....I think we have an obvious suspect, the washer and "c" clip are still present (arrowed) but the "o" ring has been virtually destroyed by age/wear and that will inevitably be letting water in.

And as I feared looks like we have the start of spindleicide from a combination of corrosion and galvanic action (compare it to the lovely shiny drivers side spindle). The top arrow is where the "c" clip sits on the spindle the washer and "o" ring would be under this and the second arrow clearly shows where the spindle is begining to suffer from pitting of up to 1mm deep. Unfortunately the corrosion products and water will begin to form a gritty grinding paste at this point and will rapidly accelerate the wear until seizure or massive bearing wear in the bronze bushing is inevitable.

And as you can see the bronze bush is beginging to wear from the spring pressure of the wiper arms pushing the worn spindle against it and the start of ovality is present. If left these wipers would be damaged beyond repair fairly soon.

The ideal way to repair is replacement especially if the wear has become too great or you are too late and they have seized up. If you have access to engineering equipment the spindle could be returned to a smooth finish and the bronze bushings replaced or reamed out to straight again. Fortunately the spindle here isn't too badly damaged, the wear is only at the top of the spindle under the "o" ring, the rest of the spindle still fits the bronze bushing correctly and the unit operates smoothly and there is only a small amount of lateral play on the spindle end. I comprehensively cleaned the spindle and bushing out of any dirt and corrosion grit then throughly greased the spindle shaft to lubricate it and prevent any further water ingress. I then replaced the "o" ring with a new one (available from any motor factors eg Halfords) and packed it into plenty of grease to stop the water sneaking in. The drivers side was simply greased and reassembled as this was in good condition. The rest of the wiper assembly is a well designed and sturdy unit and well protected from the weather so I simply regreased everything to keep it working as well as it has for the last 12 years.

This was the only mechanical issue I found during my investigation though I did find a small electrical issue in the form of corrosion on the pins inside the wiper motor multi plug that is quite visible when it is seperated (yellow arrow corrosion, red arrows incate location of fitting bolts).

I simply cleaned this up with a bit of contact cleaner to stop it getting any worse and causing electrical gremlins in the future.

So there we have it, a sturdy wiper assembly brought to its knees by a 10p "o" ring and a bit of water. I hopefully have extended the life of my wipers for some time yet by removing the corrosion products, lubricating the spindles and excluding the water and I will possibly be making this "o" ring a regular annual service item (and definately a service item when the unit is replaced to stop this happening again) as the whole thing took half an hour begining to end. Replacement is still going to be need eventually but not for a while yet now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper8.jpg
Views:	2766
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1140   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper9.jpg
Views:	2608
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1141   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper10.jpg
Views:	2581
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1142   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper11.jpg
Views:	2387
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1143   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper12.jpg
Views:	2574
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper13.jpg
Views:	2718
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1145   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper2.jpg
Views:	2578
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1146  

Last edited by B@fink; 29th May 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 29th May 2010, 07:50 PM

Excellent write-up B@fink, isn't it amazing how one small part can feck up a much more expensive assembly.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 29th May 2010, 08:02 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Added to sticky. Thanks for the write up.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:24 AM

Well written, very comprehensive and very useful!!

Thanks!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group