A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 16th September 2016, 08:47 AM

Post Key scratch what to do?

Hey everyone

Last night i was relaxing watching TV putting my feet up after a long day at work thinking life is blessed. Then just as i was thinking that my car alarm starts to go off, so went out side like you would, seen nothing, and turned the alarm off. Next morning i got up as usual had an Irish breakfast and got to work as usual. When i finished work and was leaving, this is when i realized the 3ft scratch down the passenger side door of my car. I think it has been down with a key or some sort of sharp object .. So what i could do with is a little help/advice on how to get this scratch out myself. I would prefer not to get a re-spray to be honest, and a little elbow grease won't hurt. After looking on YouTube at some scratch repairs i have already been and ordered sand paper, towels and a car polisher for sale online. All i need to know is the best products to use on my A8? I am completely clueless and needing advice. There will be some specs below that might help on what product i should get but it also might be useless...

SPECS
Year:2007
Colour: Platinum Beige Pearl Effect

That's pretty much all you would need i think any information/advice you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Example image below of my car type i will have to wait for my son to sort out getting a picture online for me.

Thanks guys

Last edited by 2007audi; 19th September 2016 at 04:56 AM. Reason: More information
Old 16th September 2016, 09:12 AM

Generally speaking if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then no amount of polishing or elbow grease are going to remove the scratch and painting is the only way forward.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 16th September 2016, 10:06 AM

I'm really sorry to hear that

I've used Chipex before and found it to be quite good. They provide paint, brushes, cloths and polish/finishing compound. You could try that. If it's deep enough a little paint in the scratch will help mask it.

You'll probably still see it since you have a pearlescent paint.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Last edited by pete-p; 16th September 2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Forgot to say... Chipex will provide a small pot of paint!
Old 16th September 2016, 10:15 AM

As Mannyo says if its that deep and cut through the gel coat then its going to be impossible to polish it out. Sorry. Feel gutted for you. I suggest you go to a bodyshop and get their advice too.
Old 16th September 2016, 10:52 AM

I've had a similar problem and got one of the local scratch repair guys to sort it. He came and did it at my workplace. Blended it in perfectly - can't see the repair at all. Wasn't desperately expensive either.
Old 16th September 2016, 08:40 PM

Thats awful luck, what sort of muppet would do that !
I too think its a job for a Pro if you are keen on an invisible repair.
A good "Detailer" (not your usual valeting rubbish) would be my first port of call.
It wont cost anything for them to have a look and would only take a few hours for them to sort if it can be done.
If its deep and gone through the lacquer, it may be end up having to be painted.
Old 16th September 2016, 10:03 PM

Excellent video here

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 17th September 2016, 08:05 AM

I know that as a very short term option, simply to hide the scratch so it isn't so obvious and therefore winding you up all day, is to rub a child's wax crayon into it and gently polish over the top. Obviously a crayon as close to your car colour as possible.

I did it once after my wonderful Audi Coupe Quattro 20V got keyed all along one side. There was a 2 week window whilst waiting for the re spray and I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. Was quite impressed actually. Anyway a very very cheap, temporary option.

I feel your pain and hope you get it sorted.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 17th September 2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Excellent video here
That's the same video I was going to recommend!

Sorry to hear about the damage. If you're completely new to this, I'd recommend getting someone out to take a look. The mobile guys should be able to do it without respraying the whole panel.

How many panels were affected?

2008 Audi S8
Old 18th September 2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
I know that as a very short term option, simply to hide the scratch so it isn't so obvious and therefore winding you up all day, is to rub a child's wax crayon into it and gently polish over the top. Obviously a crayon as close to your car colour as possible.
This does work, I've done it myself. We had a hire car in Spain, brand new black BMW 1 series which was a new model at the time. Left it parked on the street in Salobrena and came out in the morning to find it keyed down one side quiet badly. I am guessing a local did not like having this brand new car with a huge SIXT sticker on the back parked where it was. Anyway took the car and had it washed at the local east european car wash (in Spain) and it was now cleaner then when I collected it. 10 mins with a black crayon purchased from the local newsagent and it was good as new.

Returned car, it was dirty and the car duly passed the check in at SIXT when dropped back at Malaga airport.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles